Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cryoxadone Variants/Additional Uses for Cryo Tubes
I play a great deal as a Medical Doctor, and I think it's a real shame the cryo chambers don't see more use. They have their own set-up procedure, a traitor objective dedicated to their destruction, and they look darned neat. They do have their uses, sure, but they're rarely employed compared to most of the stuff in medical. If you have the right knowledge of chemistry, you can even skip the tubes and apply the cryoxydone on the spot. To give the cryo tubes a few more uses then, I've come up with a few ideas for different body-heat activated cryoxydone variants which can also be used in the cryo tubes.

Somnoxadone

Ingredients:

Perfluorodecalin

Cryoxadone 

Mannitol

Ether

Plasma

Depletion rate: 0.4

Per Life Cycle: If body temperature is below 260K, attempts to lock/cap OXY and BRAIN damage at their current levels, attempts to lock/cap Cardiac Failure at it's current level. Severe stamina regeneration penalty, will knock out on 40th cycle

Notes: This a chemical designed to delay death in patients in critical condition by preventing the buildup of OXY and BRAIN that usually kills patients. I would see the "locked" damage as being non-treatable until Somnoxydone leaves the system. Essentially, it's used to buy more time so a medic can prepare more chemicals or deal with other patients. Great for an undermanned medbay which needs to deal with many patients in critical condition at once, or an inexperienced doctor who takes longer to get things together. 

Neoxadone

Ingredients: 

Epinephrine

Cryoxadone

Mannitol

Stable Mutagen

Plasma

Depletion rate: 0.4

Per Life Cycle: If body temperature is below 260K= -12 OXY, -5 TOX, -15 BRUTE, -15 BURN, -6 BRAIN, 2% chance of Horrible Side Effects. 

Notes: The next-gen variation of cryoxadone! Unfortunately NanoPharma spent so much bribe money on ensuring that the clinical trial would be a success that they were unable to find the funds to fix it's Horrible Side Effects. Horrible Side Effects may include: blindness, hair loss, limb degradation, vocal cord atrophy, nordic cerebral syndrome, hallucinations, elevated berserker madness and mild intestinal discomfort.  

Essentially, this is a slightly better version of cryoxadone, able to heal a bit more BRUTE, BURN, TOX and OXY, with the addition of dealing with BRAIN as well. However It also comes with the chance of Horrible Side Effects, which include the blindness, swedishness and mute mutations, berserker syndrome, limbs falling off, hallucinations until injected with haloperidol, and farting constantly until injected with simethicone. The idea behind the side effects is to be frustrating and potentially debilitating, but fixable by a competent doctor. 

Crescoxadone

Ingredients: 

Synthflesh 

Super Hairgrownium

Oculine 

Cryoxadone

Plasma

Depletion rate: 0.4

Per Life Cycle: If body temperature is below 260K= 5% chance of limb or Organ regrowth, 90% chance of reducing blurred vision as well as eye and ear damage by 2, 60% of curing nearsightedness, 40% of curing blindness. [font=sans-serif]If ear damage is less than 25: 45% chance of healing deafness. 35% Chance of curing an addiction.[/font]

Notes: Miraculous cure-all that, taken time, will regrow lost limbs and organs. Surgery is still much faster, but it could be useful if robotics is a smouldering crater and you have a miner hopping in on one leg. Will also cure addictions and function as a much faster oculine. Great for treating bomb victims. 

It would be absolutely hilarious if cyborg organs and limbs would fly off suddenly in an arc if the original limb or organ is regrown. 

Psioxadone

Ingredients:

Strange reagent

Liquid Dark Matter

Methamphetamine

Haloperidol

Holy water

Cryoxadone

Plasma

Unstable Mutagen

Addiction Probability (INGEST): 50%

Overdose Threshold: 15 units

Per life cycle: If body temperature is below 260K, grants the user the Telepathy, Empathic Thought and (MAYBE) Telekinetic Pull mutations temporarily,  5% chance of +1 BRAIN. 

OVERDOSE- 8% chance of +1/+2 BRAIN. User's hair falls out. 2% chance of Spontaneous Cranial Explosion.

Notes: A fun, stupid gimmick chemical. Kidnap assistants and turn them into Precogs! Grants temporary psychic powers as long as the user has it in their system and has a low body temperature. Overdoses can turn you into Professor X/ make your head explode into giblets. Has a constant risk of brain damage, so any users will need to keep mannitol around. 

I'm unsure about the wisdom of getting telekinesis with this as well, might be a bit too crazy, so some feedback on this would be nice. Some additional penalties for using this could also be added to balance out the tremendous psychic power as well, like drowsiness and confused movement. This could very easily be made a secret chem as well. 

Pyroxadone

Ingredients:

Pyrosium

Cryoxadone

Plasma

Synthflesh

Ghost Chili Juice

LSD

Chlorine Trifluoride

Addiction Probability (INGEST): 60%

Depletion Rate: 0.6

Overdose threshold: 20 units 

Per Life Cycle: If body temperature is above 300K= -20 BURN, - 20 BRUTE, -15 OXY, +3 TOX, Heals all BLEEDING

OVERDOSE- 5% +5 TOX, 2% chance Total Limb Removal.

Notes: Cryoxadone's evil twin that likes setting things on fire. An opposite to Cryoxadone that works with high body temperatures rather than low, ideally used when someone is on fire. Heals a ridiculous amount of Brute and Burn, but has rapidly accruing toxin damage. Overdose has a chance of sending all your limbs flying off in dramatic fashion, coupled with a whole load of Bleeding

I really just liked the idea of someone setting themselves or someone else on fire to treat their burns.
Yeah, this will be useful, as I primarily play Medical Doctor, and right now the cryos are more useful for topping off the oxygen tanks we start with than anything. This will make them more useful.
There's no reason to use the cryotubes (outside of GBS) because you can heal people faster via medicine.

To make them useful on cog2 I'd suggest:
- Cutting the occupants accrued damage in half.
- Allowing the administration of medicine via syringe or beaker /or/ Allowing the housing of multiple beakers with a menu to control distribution rates per cycle.
- Creating a method of limb-regrowth - most probably involving the presence of synthflesh.

It's a bit silly that the big, cool looking machine is only useful for making a person cold, yes.
Tip on how to make the cryo tubes useful:

Don't just stick straight cryoxadone in there. Put some very small concentrations of other medications in the beaker as well.

If you get the mix right, you can heal just about anything just by sticking the patient inside the tube.

Hell, if you're skilled enough, you could probably make a mix that even cured cardiac arrest with voltagen.
Sleepers and the cryo tubes both get little attention.

Why not have a pair of combo-units that allow you to do cryo treatment and also administer other drugs in increments while the patient is inside?
I.E

Machine fits 1 body per tube, 2 tubes.
Add the stabilization functionality that the sleepers have to the cryo tubes.
Include an interface for selecting loaded meds and administering them in increments.
Place a number of chem beakers into the internal reservoir slots. (5?)
Allow administration of drugs from a selected beaker to the patient while in cryo.(injected) - Same function as a single custom beaker mix, but now you get to selectively administer drugs rather than just marinating the patient in a vat of mixed substance.

Cryo tubes should still accept a single beaker as the "base chem" such as cryoxadone. The other beakers and meds get loaded into the new component of this machine and -do not- automatically administer to the patient. They must be selected and administered by another person who is tending the machine.

Allow defib function while in cryo?

Possibly allow cryo to halt any parasites from progressing further; I.E. headspiders, bee, nanites.
Possibly add a new chem (synthflesh+stable mutagen = new chem?) Specifically for slowly regrowing limbs in sub-zero environments (the cryo tubes)
Just to be clear, I'm fine with how the cryo tubes currently work, but want to add more cold-activated chemicals that do stuff medical chemicals can't do to give them additional functionality. I've changed the thread title to reflect this fact.

EDIT: also I love how TWO people mentioned "make a limb regrowth Chem" despite me mentioning one in the original post HGGGGH
Cryo tubes are kind of farther in than most people get treated at (either surgery or the pharmacy), and sleepers can't be operated without someone else helping you, whereas you can at least crawl into cryo I think?

Anyway I like these 'dones, psioxadone sounds like it'd be pretty hilarious
(08-15-2016, 02:46 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: Cryo tubes are kind of farther in than most people get treated at (either surgery or the pharmacy)

Why do people always ignore the Destiny map?  frown
(08-15-2016, 03:26 PM)Mordent Wrote:
(08-15-2016, 02:46 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: Cryo tubes are kind of farther in than most people get treated at (either surgery or the pharmacy)

Why do people always ignore the Destiny map?  frown

Because we're huge nerds and there are less of us.
Because Destiny is generally less mad-cap and thus the extreme use case scenarios/"perfect gaming" crops up less because there's less of an excuse, mitigating both intense damage and miraculous recovery
you know what would be nice? something that restores your default name and appearance after youve been stung/injected with identity changing genes/chems by some ling/prankster. the cryo tubes would be an ideal place for such a restoration process to take place
(08-15-2016, 08:16 PM)misto Wrote: you know what would be nice? something that restores your default name and appearance after youve been stung/injected with identity changing genes/chems by some ling/prankster. the cryo tubes would be an ideal place for such a restoration process to take place

Such a thing exists, it's called Stable Mutagen and a blood sample.
(12-22-2016, 12:32 AM)elan_oots Wrote:
(08-15-2016, 08:16 PM)misto Wrote: you know what would be nice? something that restores your default name and appearance after youve been stung/injected with identity changing genes/chems by some ling/prankster. the cryo tubes would be an ideal place for such a restoration process to take place

Such a thing exists, it's called Stable Mutagen and a blood sample.

This is why I take blood samples of as many people as I can when a doctor, or of myself if I have access to a syringe at all (e.g. scientist). Waaay too many times have I had to be cloned into a monkey because people have left my corpse rotting in medbay somewhere for too long.

Bonus fun: putting someone else's blood and stable mutagen into the clone tubes.