Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimmick role overhaul thread
Bug 
Someone said to make a gimmick role thread so here it is unless someone already made one and I missed it

Last good suggestion I saw was giving diplomat species extra abilities / detriments to make them more interesting and or fun.  Martian could definitely use telepathy and or space breathing.  

Another thing is access levels, last I remember mailman had no access to the undelivered mail room and that is just a travesty
merchant might benefit from qm access, but them using station funds for their own profit might be detrimental

do the x-union reps get the access from the x department theyre repping? they ought to

musician and hollywood actor could get bar access to better be drunk nuisances

ambassadors are a good topic unto themselves, of course intimately linked to their species. lizards should thermoregulate their bodies differently and thus be more susceptible to cold than humans are.

ambassadors should be generally resistant to contracting human diseases, because diseases making a rapid cross-species jump is rare. if they do contract a disease, it should probably effect them extra harshly, though, because their body wouldnt be as adapted to combat it.

they should clone as their original species rather than cloning into humans. i guess you can handwave this away if you want as nt cloners being cheap shit geared to growing humans only

skeleton people seem to have no skin or internal organs, and thus should be resistant to a variety of conditions and afflictions, such as needing to breathe (no lungs), itching (no skin), food poisoning (no stomach). i guess they technically might still have living marrow and stuff inside their bones so they aren't cyborg-level immune.

i uh, i dont know what the purple guys deal is
Purple guys are fish.
Allow them to not drown in the pool.
and turn on their sims style thirst motivation
Adding a bunch of actually unique features to the diplomats seems to be counter to what the diplomat is at the end of the day, which is a gimmick role not much different to going around wearing a rubber monster suit.

Seems really kinda dumb to put a whole bunch of effort into stuff that shows up so rarely.
It's just a bit more flavor, is all. It's not asking coders to develop a whole new system or anything. It's mostly just 'give them this gene' or 'let them come with this item'; you can do that with the current system.

Fish could get ink glands, martians could get telepathic or empathic, skellingtons could get that darkness gene or something, and lizards could get jumpy or the puke gene (like that dino in jurassic park) -- giving them small, not-so-harmful mutations would just add flavor.

Musicians could get a random fancy instrument. It's a shame we only see those when an admin is bored.

I'll actually stop there. Don't want to go on and on. Still, flavor is always nice.
Just give the skeleton species anaerobic respiration and I will be happy.

Also bring back the bone xylophone.
necro time. i want the alien prisoner role more! and diplomat always gets me lame blob people. ice moon researcher! pirate captain was a thing at some point, i played it once after i think dions made it earlier that round
Gimmick job idea: Lifeguard

Hangs out in the pool/sauna area, which doesn't get much attention. Starts with a whistle, first aid kit, sunglasses, bottle of sunscreen (or some other chem, maybe silver sulf), a beachball. Could have the anaerobic trait maybe. Access to medical perhaps?

Was just looking at the Destiny map and thinking of ways to make the swimming area more interesting.
(05-17-2017, 08:59 AM)TheDK Wrote: Gimmick job idea: Lifeguard

Hangs out in the pool/sauna area, which doesn't get much attention. Starts with a whistle, first aid kit, sunglasses, bottle of sunscreen (or some other chem, maybe silver sulf), a beachball. Could have the anaerobic trait maybe. Access to medical perhaps?

Was just looking at the Destiny map and thinking of ways to make the swimming area more interesting.

this already exists
I was looking at the trader role on Baystation, and I think merchant could be turned into something similar.

Essentially they could act as a player commanded NPC trader, starting with their own shuttle, a bunch of cash and a stuff-buying menu with which to spend that cash on. Merchants would sell stuff to the crew on-station, then hop back on their shuttle to buy more stuff with the money they've made.
(05-17-2017, 11:33 AM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: I was looking at the trader role on Baystation, and I think merchant could be turned into something similar.

Essentially they could act as a player commanded NPC trader, starting with their own shuttle, a bunch of cash and a stuff-buying menu with which to spend that cash on. Merchants would sell stuff to the crew on-station, then hop back on their shuttle to buy more stuff with the money they've made.

Then they rob the station blind and run amok with a million units of uranium. I mean, that's what I'd do.

But, I do like the idea of a player merchant who sells things from a supplier.
We have a job like that, it's called the quartermaster.
(05-18-2017, 10:05 PM)Roomba Wrote: We have a job like that, it's called the quartermaster.

Too bad most people rush in and raid cargo anyway.
make abusing the diplomat have a chance of causing an interplanetary incident and making the station get attacked by whatever they are a diplomat of

also

wizard federation diplomat smile but he doesnt get all the good killer spells, just a couple basic ones.

make abusing the governor/ceo/president whatever make the station get attacked by nt cops

make abusing the x union rep make the station get attacked by angry strikers

etc etc

if spawning npcs/antags when these gimmicks are abused is too much, at least make their death provoke a system message ie "the x union rep has been slain. we call upon all employees to strike and picket in solidarity!" and then its just a roleplaying opportunity that you can take or leave as you please