Kate Smith's Head of Security Application
Exclamation 
Usual character name: Kate Smith
[b]BYOND username: Linkey[/b]
[b][b]Discord username (if you are on our discord): [/b][/b][b]linkey_us, Linkey (Kate Smith)[/b]
[b][b]Recommended by (if applicable): Several friends who I played with and talked to IC in-game and OOC on discord praised and encouraged me whenever I mentioned applying.[/b][/b]
[b][b][b]Goon servers you play: Goonstation 3 Roleplay Morty (98% of the time), Goonstation 4 Roleplay Sylvester (RARELY).[/b][/b][/b]

[b][b][b][b]Reason for application: Ever since I ever started to play SS13 on Goonstation, the one phrase has stuck to my head during my first ever round: "I want to try everything in this game." Aside from that, I've always wanted to know what it really is like to be a HoS, to have the drip and 'em boots, to also come up with unique interactions in such role.[/b][/b][/b][/b]

[b][b][b][b][b]Security experience:[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]

I remember my first ever round as a security officer around late 2019. Elijah Retluoc (played by our beloved mentor, Munien) stayed with me the ENTIRE round despite the chaos and had given clear instructions of all the basics in a very friendly way (Love and miss ya, friend). I had ALWAYS played as a secoff on RP and a tiny bit on classic since around that time till my perma ban in late february 2022 and resumed it probably back in this last january to the current date. Learning about security and how to play in its roles has and still is taking adjustments as I'm always doing what I can to improve my performance around others to make rounds more enjoyable. I have dealt with a lot of arrests that included but not limited to: chasing down "crimers" that were resisting arrest, uncovering leads and tracking down suspects, peacefully taking them in once they had accepted to cooperate and follow instructions, deadly interactions that had to be confronted with first reactions in the best possible manner given the life or death situation. I still find myself to be rather lacking on the amount of tickets and fines I get to issue "crimers" and "non-crimers" as I usually get to be either too lost in an interaction or have to deal with crisis, calls, backup emergencies, or I just simply get distracted. Following and keeping up with communication is one of the things I aim to become better at everyday (sometimes I struggle with it during burnouts or due to being just REALLY tired which I shouldn't be on sec for it), I also like to remind my team to use PDA or PDA groups to keep anyone who unrightfully gained access to security comms out of the status of our progress as the rounds go. Even though I get to be distracted sometimes, I will still report in and ask about what goes on, step in to assist as needed, or even go out of my way to just to help anyone who really needs a hand. Despite my character's behaviour and/or morale I still try to keep play my role in security like everyone else in it should, preserving my character's health, comply with superiors' orders. Good soldiers follow orders.
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
[b][b][b][b][b]To work as a team whenever possible. If and when you get to work with someone on your side, do try to keep communication going on as best as you can for that it could make things go a lot smoother and may even save everyone from headaches (Whether it's IC or OOC). To give 'em "crimers" more of a chance to interact with them rather than just escalating things too quickly, have a little chat if you can help it so that it's more fun! Play in good faith with such roles. As a security member, you are to protect and keep your station in order the best you can within the situation at hand with all available resources. Do not barge in other departments and do whatever just because you have access to it or can, it's not cool (learned that one on my own).[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]

• What was one of your favorite security moments?
[b][b][b][b][b]Whether I was a security officer, captain, or an antag... I just LOVE a good fight involving lethals, chaos, blood bath, and destruction. [/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]
[b][b][b][b][b]The most fun of many experiences I had were:[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]

[b][b][b][b][b]Twice as a traitor: I ran around alone with a SPAS-12 and the other time a riot launcher loaded with 40mm HE shells, as well as a silenced .22 pistol. Stimpacked on both occasions, causing mass murder and becoming a high threat to anyone who crossed me. (Keep in mind that I usually either announce my presence and/or escalate things for the fun of it before I go "Postal."[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]

[b][b][b][b][b]Many times as an officer: Jumping in a huge gunfight between gangs/salvagers and my team, fighting till the last breath and still detaining them without killing if I could help it. Also doing my best to keep my teammates from dying on the spot.[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
Whenever on a full team of security, my first objective is to keep an active communication with the team if I decide to respond to a call/crisis/backup, letting them know that I will be on my way. Report just about anything I do about my location, on whether I'm handling a situation and may need backup (this feels like a repetition from the last part in different words). I will seek the HoS, my fellow officers, and assistants for guidance at any time I'm either bored or just don't know what to do at the given time. When not responding directly to a case and available, I will act as a backup. Keeping a close watch on my colleagues, and making sure they are well is what I aim for if I can help it most of the time.

Being just about the ONLY officer on duty makes prioritize any call/crisis alerts ASAP, dropping any minor cases or things that are not as alarming. When gone south of the situation and I don't have a HoS or Captain around, I will attempt to get help from anyone that can be trusted the at the occasion to keep me updated and possibly aid me from certain death, abduction, or dealing with something or someone lethally (example: transformed changeling). 
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
[b][b][b][b][b]A gimmick that I've always wanted to run as either a Head of Security or Traitor is to... if let's say, I'm on the traitor side: I want to talk to the current Head of Security in round in private, reveal myself as a Syndicate visitor of some sort that wants to pose a challenge, reach an agreement for a drill that would benefit both NT's security team as well as the Syndicate agent (in that case being me). The HoS would be aware of what I am the whole time while the rest of the team doesn't, I get to infiltrate, trick, and go undercover and it is Security's team to stop me before I get to reach some sort of made up objective. At the end of the gimmick, security would get called in by the HoS, I get to be revealed and it would be said that all of that was just a test, and I'm not actually working for the Syndicate and simply stole/illegally acquired gear and such. So yeah, it's one thing I had in mind for a while. Sorry for the grammar lmao.[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]

[b][b][b][b][b][b]Previous bans: I've had a total of two bans if I recall correctly. Late 2019, metagaming, half a week duration. Early 2022, broke "[b][font=sans-serif]Bigotry and sexual content is a non-negotiable hard 'no'" rule 4, permanent duration (lifted on December, the 28th of 2023 I think).[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/font][/b][/b]
[b][b][b][b][b][b][b][font=sans-serif]Would also like to make a mention: my bad for the red syndie mask biz character lore gimmick as a secoff, not cool. I was just trying to recreate my old look from 2022, I now understand why such availability was removed. [/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/font][/b][/b]

Don't mind the formatting errors, I messed up. Heh.
Kate's a joy to have on the team, and I was really happy to see her on my first HoS round. She helped smooth things out in security and was all-around a big help. I was able to rely on her to get things done when my attention was needed elsewhere. The only minor concerns I have are judging when to dish out the more serious punishments such as demotion, borging/execution, and exile. Seeing a bit more leadership come from her would be nice. I think the sense for those can easily come to her with a little effort and time, though. Overall, +1 from me.
I've seen Kate on numerous occasions on both medical and security, she adds a lot of positive energy to whatever department she is in (even with her blood thirsty tendencies, which is my only concern). She does listen to her peers and takes criticism, and will help if asked nicely. I think she could adapt to being a HoS and the less blood thirsty requirements that role entails. +1 from me.
Kate is an unbelievably friendly person, and I think she makes for a great antag/secoff, allowing her to understand when and where it's okay to end an antag's run or allow them to continue to escalate. I think she could be more vocal as a secoff as others had said, but she still has a +1 from me.
Kate is a lovely security officer that I've worked with plenty. She's plenty competent and has the right kind of sensibilities needed for arrests and interrogations. I'll keep an eye on things over the next couple months, but I haven't really seen her do a lot of training, but I'm confident she'd be able to show people the ropes if she had the opportunity.

My only concern with Kate is that I've had an experience or two of her behavior leaning into self-antag territory that's personally affected a few of my rounds. I don't hold it against her, and I believe that she's learned from these situations, but it's something I think I need to mention. I'll be sure to make another comment with a definitive answer when I've had more time to monitor her conduct.
Ive seen Kate walking out of a room covered in blood while the DOOM ost is playing in the background, and ive seen Kate being the most kind and heart warming character there is. I feel they fit really nice on whenever role they choose for the round, and that would be no different as Head of Security. Although they are usually *everywhere*, and are a very present character on the rounds, i think they could fit to coordinating the team as a HoS very well. +1
I've played many rounds with Kate when im both working security and just as regular crew, Kate is someone I can rely on and makes a great effort to communicate and work together with security as a team. They treat antags fairly and understand when to give them room to breathe, and are nice to crew. I haven't seen Kate teach many rookies but I think they would be capable of doing so if presented the opportunity. Overall, I think Kate would be a good fit for Head of Security.

+1 from me.