Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Chaplain Rework Discussion/Suggestion Smackdown
I do really enjoy playing chaplain: the mild buffs are fun to play with. However there's no real incentive to actually be a chaplain, in a typical round you'll probably spend about as much time in the chapel as the rest of the crew (ie. To grab a bible and leave). What if the Chaplain had a set of powers, paid for by "faith points" to further customize your religion and bring new believers into the fold? 

These points could be earned by the proper preservation of bodies (formaldehyde), or by conducting funerals with the mass driver or incinerator, scaling up the chaplains power with the more dead people on the station. Sort of like a Changeling or blob. Perhaps you could also earn additional points which accumulate while you and another player spend time in the chapel, giving you a reason to preach the good word.

The powers you get should be very niche, to prevent too many people trying to be the chaplain. For instance:

Sanctification: Consumes 2 Faith points. Target: an object or door. Antag roles take minor burn damage upon using this object with a fairly noticeable text message ("Shitlord McGee recoils from the firelock!")
Examining a sanctified object should also let you know it has been sanctified ("The good gold large beaker glows with holy light!")

Idol: Consumes 10 faith points. Convert an item into a religious idol. Idols have a random artifact property in addition to their usual properties.

Salvation: Consumes 20 faith points. Heals all damage done to another player instantly.

True Sight: Consumes 10 faith points. See ghosts for a short amount of time.

In addition to personal powers, giving the chaplain opportunities to upgrade their own facilities at the chapel might give them more reason to stay there, such as a chem/alcohol dispenser for formaldehyde and holy water.
(04-21-2016, 10:51 PM)Delta Wrote: I do really enjoy playing chaplain: the mild buffs are fun to play with. However there's no real incentive to actually be a chaplain, in a typical round you'll probably spend about as much time in the chapel as the rest of the crew (ie. To grab a bible and leave). What if the Chaplain had a set of powers, paid for by "faith points" to further customize your religion and bring new believers into the fold? 

These points could be earned by the proper preservation of bodies (formaldehyde), or by conducting funerals with the mass driver or incinerator, scaling up the chaplains power with the more dead people on the station. Sort of like a Changeling or blob. Perhaps you could also earn additional points which accumulate while you and another player spend time in the chapel, giving you a reason to preach the good word.

The powers you get should be very niche, to prevent too many people trying to be the chaplain. For instance:

Sanctification: Consumes 2 Faith points. Target: an object or door. Antag roles take minor burn damage upon using this object with a fairly noticeable text message ("Shitlord McGee recoils from the firelock!")
Examining a sanctified object should also let you know it has been sanctified ("The good gold large beaker glows with holy light!")

Idol: Consumes 10 faith points. Convert an item into a religious idol. Idols have a random artifact property in addition to their usual properties.

Salvation: Consumes 20 faith points. Heals all damage done to another player instantly.

True Sight: Consumes 10 faith points. See ghosts for a short amount of time.

In addition to personal powers, giving the chaplain opportunities to upgrade their own facilities at the chapel might give them more reason to stay there, such as a chem/alcohol dispenser for formaldehyde and holy water.
I think all of these are interesting. Salvation, maybe only allow it to be used once per person (God, imagine a traitor mindlsaving a chaplain, getting the chaplain as many points as possible, and keeping him around as his personal healbuddy). The real problem at this point is picking which of the ideas to use, and coding them in
Since I've been playing round with Pathology for a while, obvious choice for the "Life" domain to me is immunity to pathogens and a cure disease power. It just needs to be with a reasonable cooldown or it could cure the disease but not make you immune? In case of a deadly disease everyone would huddle in the chapel praying until there is a cure or everyone else is dead.

The traitor power could maybe even be that he spreads a somewhat random, slow-acting disease?
If there is a random event disease or a pathologist fucks up you'd have another source of healing rather than hoping there is a competent pathologist around. And a traitor chaplain that spreads disease would probably get more people knowledgable about cures.
How about starting small with this?

There's two ideas I saw floating around somewhere. One was making friendly wizards, another was a suggestion that Chaplains always be non-antags.

I think, if the chaplain was always a force for good, they could be trusted to have minor wizard spells (miracles) for helping the crew.

A few miracles:
Turning wine into water - Sobers up drunk people instantly
High on Life - Cures addictions
A light in the Darkness - Creates a spot of light
(06-16-2016, 11:37 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: High on Life - Cures addictions

We need this so much
(06-16-2016, 12:05 PM)medsal15 Wrote:
(06-16-2016, 11:37 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: High on Life - Cures addictions

We need this so much

Addiction is one of the most annoyingly crippling things in the game and is yet at the same time insanely easy to accidentally cause. Please.
(06-16-2016, 11:37 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: How about starting small with this?

There's two ideas I saw floating around somewhere. One was making friendly wizards, another was a suggestion that Chaplains always be non-antags.

I think, if the chaplain was always a force for good, they could be trusted to have minor wizard spells (miracles) for helping the crew.

A few miracles:
Turning wine into water - Sobers up drunk people instantly
High on Life - Cures addictions
A light in the Darkness - Creates a spot of light

I really like the ideas of miracles, given that this thread concept is dead in the water. Basically make it so that:
A) Miracles mainly effect other players. Anything that can be used by yourself is generally minor.
B) Mostly niche healing abilities.
C) Makes the chaplain go Wololo when miracle is cast.

Other ones/renames:
Eternal Ray: Creates a pool of light. Can choose players (including yourself) to have the light emanate from them for a period of time.
Touch of Virtue: Cures drunkness/addictions/cluwne disease (now worked into a miracle)
Sanctify: Reduces damage from all sources for a small period of time. Cannot be used on yourself.
Purity: Shoot a small ball of light from your hand, some burn damage, some stun. Basically a last ditch effort. Long cool down.
Revelation: Very long cooldown: Acts like clairvoyance. Will also detect if a person is dead or not.
Martyrdom: Gib yourself instantly to revive a dead person.
Oh, Martyrdom is nice.
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or if something so art-sy will fit the Goons focus on gameplay but I have 2 word to add to any chaplain/church overhaul:

Church Organ.
(07-11-2016, 12:43 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote: I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or if something so art-sy will fit the Goons focus on gameplay but I have 2 word to add to any chaplain/church overhaul:

Church Organ.

One of the completely unnecessary couches could probably be removed to fit an Organ.
Put an organ in the hidden room too so we can do phantom of the opera gimmicks
The organ should have playable keys. Certain sequences should do secret stuff.
(07-12-2016, 04:14 PM)grumpchkin Wrote: ...fit an Organ.
(07-13-2016, 05:50 PM)poland spring Wrote: organ in the hidden room
I think the location shouldn't be too much of an issue. Depending on how grand 'our great (map) creator' is willing to make it, it could fit in between the bushes at the back of the chapel, take up the whole of that same alcove in the back or the redundant part of the conveyor belt section could be shifted to the right to free up space for 'epic pipe-ige' (what's that room supposed to be for anyway? There's caskets and laywer-suits in there, but it looks like wasted space).

(07-13-2016, 05:50 PM)poland spring Wrote: phantom of the opera gimmicks
(07-13-2016, 09:26 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: The organ should have playable keys. Certain sequences should do secret stuff.
I'd like the Organ to be hackable, so you can play it remotely and other fun stuff, but I also don't want it to be 'too complex to play'. I'd rather have 'use with empty hand for random tune' then yet another tool on the station that requires a Phd in a relevant field to operate.
I'd really like the Chaplain to have this, or something like this.

http://www.ss13.eu/wiki/index.php/Construct
rabbi chaplains making friendly golems? unthinkable (but cool)