Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make Crusher Units unscannable
Ok, so we had a round with a very prolific (possibly traitor?) mechanic, where they pretty blocked off arrivals in a way with not just one, but THREE crusher traps (One was cloaked, the pathway to the bar, one blocked the chef's maintainence path, and there was another passable one the other way, but exiting out from between barber's and arcade, crushers were waiting one tile away.)

Normally, this would be okay. Where it reached overkill was when the things were ALL OVER THE GODDAMN STATION. Escape was blocked off in several places, making it almost impossible to go anywhere.

If flat out removing the crushers from being scanned is asking for too much, I request a massive spike in resources required to make them.
Not everyone has maintenance access right off the shuttle, and late joiners have no choice but to sit there or run right in.
"A traitor did a thing that made it difficult to get to the shuttle and killed people admins plz nerf this it hurts my self-esteem that I fell victim to this."
Making the crusher units unscannable would make the syndie scanner practically useless. You know you can just deconstruct the damn things, right?
In this instance all of the deconstructers were gibbed. I think increasing the cost of materials to make them might be a better idea.
Vunterslaush Wrote:In this instance all of the deconstructers were gibbed. I think increasing the cost of materials to make them might be a better idea.

Let's examine all the things that need to happen for this situation to happen.

- One of two people on the entire station of 50+ must roll traitor.
- He must purchase a 5 telecrystal traitor device that only lets him scan some extra things.
- He must then goto the crusher, scan it, and enter it into his machine and print it in a blueprint and insert it, with the fact that it was scanned visible to anyone who checks the damn thing.
- He then needs to get all the materials to produce them, and have the access to deploy them in good spots all the while they're as lethal to him as they are to others, one bad push and he's dead
- They can be deconstructed easily with a deconstruction device
- They are immobile, just go around through space or something.
- An all this is assuming nobody bothers to stop them

It's fine as far as I can see.
I was told by an admin once not to build crushers in arrivals. Can't remember which one.

I think it's one of those things that are bad form, like suicide bombing an antag.
Xeram Wrote:
Vunterslaush Wrote:In this instance all of the deconstructers were gibbed. I think increasing the cost of materials to make them might be a better idea.

Let's examine all the things that need to happen for this situation to happen.

- One of two people on the entire station of 50+ must roll traitor.
- He must purchase a 5 telecrystal traitor device that only lets him scan some extra things.

Syndie scanner available without having to buy one.

Quote:- He must then goto the crusher, scan it, and enter it into his machine and print it in a blueprint and insert it, with the fact that it was scanned visible to anyone who checks the damn thing.

Trivial, also there's a ruckingeer kit and such on mining zlevel.

Quote:- He then needs to get all the materials to produce them, and have the access to deploy them in good spots all the while they're as lethal to him as they are to others, one bad push and he's dead

Also trivial, if you're not dumb.

Quote:- They can be deconstructed easily with a deconstruction device

Aren't there like 3 of these on the entire station?

Quote:- They are immobile, just go around through space or something.

Sometimes it's just not feasible to go around them, and most of the time you're pushed into them, with graviton accelerators and such.

Quote:- An all this is assuming nobody bothers to stop them

Nobody ever does.
Crushers are fine, the person who set them up was an ass for setting them up at arrivals.

As much as I hate to use this term, "spawn camping" is quite lame. Whether it's hungry vampires, gluttonous changelings, rampaging c-saberers, or even the over-zealous traitor mechanic, fucking people over the second they spawn in is really lame. Like, really lame. I get it, it's about the traitor's fun and all that, but it's just plain rude to kill people seconds after they get off the arrivals shuttle.

Now that my ranting is over, this is a bad idea. Making crushers unscannable is just a bad idea. Not much more to it.
Is everything trivial nowadays? Cripes, it takes like ten minutes to throw up a cloak-generated crusher trap in front of the mechanic's lab.

Walk in front of the dang place more often! Sheesh!
If you're talking about the round I *think* you're talking about (earlier today). That was me. I did indeed set some up cloaked just above the bar. I also set up crushers in the maintenance hallways, in disposals, in all the major hallways, back corridors and the airbridge and a few airlocks. It was actually a maze that required new joiners to:
->take the disposal chute in arrivals to disposal. catwalks blocked with crushers
->take morgue chute just outside disposal to the morgue.
->break out and escape from the morgue.
->arrive safely on the shuttle.

Pretty simple I think, and I don't even remember the last time I saw any significant number of crushers. Also a good dozen or so of them were dismantled. This is why the scanner capable of scanning crushers is traitor it. Worth noting: Two traitors (not me) escaped successfully.
No.