HoS application: Ishmael Belmont
Usual character name: Ishmael Belmont, Athena Europa (I'll be playing both often)
BYOND Username: TheBeastMan903
Discord username (if you are on our discord): SomeOlFellow
Recommended by (if applicable):
Goon servers you play: Morty

Reason for application: HoS application. I’ve played a lot of security and want to improve further by being in a position with greater responsibility to have the pressure I need to focus and learn. I know I’m not the best at being security, but I do my best.

Security experience (300 words minimum): 
My memory is quite poor, so I don’t remember specific experiences well, so I’ll give my thoughts here based on what I remember.

Out of every role in SS13, security is the one I play the most. I’ve gotten to know the likes of Paladin, House, Munches, Longbert, Phoenix Earl, Aghata, and many other great people over the on-and-off years I’ve played. I haven’t caught a ton of crooks myself, but I’ve found myself quite skilled at interrogation and investigation (much like the detective role, funnily enough). I’ve done my best to support my team via cameras, teaching, and having a general understanding of how every department works, not to say I understand them all completely (chemistry especially). Over time, I noticed that I often took things too seriously, so I tried to relax. Talking on the radio show, going along with gimmicks, and developing a particular form of corporal punishment. While this often results in me missing out on things on the radio, sometimes missing important information, I don’t think it’s essential always to be an uptight security officer who only focuses on their job and nothing else. Although I will still respond to emergencies when able, I know when to focus and do my job.

I have found one of my favorite things to do is teach new players in the department in a role-play fashion. Sometimes, I’ll even do this in other departments if time allows. For example, if a new geneticist doesn’t know how to work the console and has no co-worker to teach him, I’ll give him the rundown he needs to know to run his station and figure everything else out himself. Sometimes, I’ll even tell the bartender how to make a particular cocktail (suicider) and challenge them to make it, or tell them that the shaker doesn't mix till you shake it.

One other fun thing is seeing someone try a gimmick (I saw someone trying to sell a portable execution service recently, which failed spectacularly) and seeing where they go with it. Dr. Spider was another fun one. Although I had no real control over where that went, he did love injecting people with spiders. 

Another fond memory from recent a very recent round was I spent nearly an entire round as a roboroach (I was in spectate while typing this application and got selected for a special critter spawn), at one point I found a cardboard tube and used it as my weapon, popping out of hiding places and bonking people on the head with it before scurrying off. Eventually, I would find the HoS of the round, Munches, and followed them around. After some time and bonding, the roboroach became the pet of Munches, fighting for security with their "Sword of Justice". Near the round end however, in a surprise attack, the roboroach affectionately named Gekless, jumped behind munches, and took fatal phaser shots to save Munches. The crimer was arrested shortly after and Munches was heartbroken, but proud of little Gekless.

While I sometimes struggle to pay proper attention to the radio, thanks to certain external factors (ADHD), I do my best to monitor the radio when I know something is up. I've been trying to improve my leadership abilities when I spot the opportunity and coordinate more, I am always seeking to improve my ability to play as sec as of late. I've self reflected on some of my past mistakes as well, such as checking for tools when I have no need to and generally digging too deep for no good reason, and I will improve on that.

Answer two or more of the following:

I’d advise a new security member not to be afraid to ask questions to any of their security officers. Often, people will be nervous to ask simple questions like “How do I mark someone as wanted?” or “What do the arrow keys on the cameras do?” I’ve seen a few rookies handcuff themselves and not know how to get them off, much to the amusement of his coworkers (and me).

My favorite security moment would have to be the rather unique punishment I came up with, I found you can pin and fart on someone while also giving them a swirlie, and if you’re quick enough (or have gloves), you can also slap them repeatedly while doing so, for an incredibly humiliating and hilarious punishment. My next favorite moment would have to be the time a group of traitors coordinated an effort to knock me out and throw me out of the airlock. They hit me with a syringe gun to knock me out, and another man threw me out of the airlock. They didn’t account for my thermal resistance and anaerobic metabolism, so I survived. I came back to the station, remembered that one of them had a resistance implant (no idea why), and arrested him. It was very satisfying watching his execution later for attempted murder and the arsenal he was found to have had on him.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

A security gimmick I’ve wanted to do was to make it so the only punishments we do have to be unusual, like covering someone in stickers, painting them, or just cutting their hair off and leaving them bald. Just cruel, unusual punishments like that.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): I don’t think so, and I don't know how to check. Pretty sure it'd of stuck in my memory if I did, so I don't have any that I can recall.

I'm actually incredibly nervous and fearful making this application, I hope I made it well enough that everyone can read it.  space owl
I haven't had many chances to play with either Ishmael or Athena, but what stood out to me is their ability to navigate and keep a cool head in stressful rounds. They're able to take initiative and lead a maneuver, be communicative and ultimately seem to me a capable player and officer.
I can't say I have played a lot with you, however on the one instance that I was a fellow command member when you were the captain, you happenned to upload an AI law that, indirectly, forced the AI to drain all of the cargo budget, making the QMs very upset. When confronted about it by the QMs on radio, you didn't seem apologetic, or concerned at all.

I believe it is expected of an HoS not to mess with AI laws like that, forcing AIs to participate in gimmicks (aka not including an "if you wish to" clause), and in general be more aware of the consequences of their actions.
(05-08-2024, 01:42 PM)Chatauscours Wrote: I can't say I have played a lot with you, however on the one instance that I was a fellow command member when you were the captain, you happenned to upload an AI law that, indirectly, forced the AI to drain all of the cargo budget, making the QMs very upset. When confronted about it by the QMs on radio, you didn't seem apologetic, or concerned at all.

I believe it is expected of an HoS not to mess with AI laws like that, forcing AIs to participate in gimmicks (aka not including an "if you wish to" clause), and in general be more aware of the consequences of their actions.

Yeah I learned later I should have worded it better, I will do better next time I make laws like that.

(05-08-2024, 02:29 PM)SomeOlFellow Wrote:
(05-08-2024, 01:42 PM)Chatauscours Wrote: I can't say I have played a lot with you, however on the one instance that I was a fellow command member when you were the captain, you happenned to upload an AI law that, indirectly, forced the AI to drain all of the cargo budget, making the QMs very upset. When confronted about it by the QMs on radio, you didn't seem apologetic, or concerned at all.

Yeah I learned later I should have worded it better, I will do better next time I make laws like that.
I often work security, and that was my first time trying to make a law I thought might be fun since I usually don't touch them.

Ok, let me word myself better. 

Yes, making that law was a mistake. I generally avoid messing with laws unless I'm removing laws or fixing ion'd ones. I tried to make a law I thought might be fun but I forgot to word it to make it optional, damage had been done by the time someone pointed it out and my mind was occupied with different things so I didn't think too much about it.

I will do better in the future, and will avoid trying to write fun laws on a whim and think them out instead.
I not know much about him but heard this name a lot in radio. I assume that he active on radio.
Ishmael is a good player, someone I can often rely on to take care of things I need done when I'm playing HoS. As Meaow mentioned, they are very communicative over the radio, which is a nice behavior to observe. Recently, I witnessed Ishmael taking a newbee security assistant for a comprehensive training round, which was lovely to see, as training holds a special place in my heart. My only major concern is the leaking of OOC information into an IC context. A recent example is the discussion of previous rounds and application feedback in great detail IC. I'm not too worried about this, as I think this can be easily overcome within the span of this cycle. Very worst case scenario, by the next.

Overall, a +1 from me.  Keep up the good work! Always lovely to see you around!  Boogiebot
(05-10-2024, 04:27 AM)klushy225 Wrote: Ishmael is a good player, someone I can often rely on to take care of things I need done when I'm playing HoS. As Meaow mentioned, they are very communicative over the radio, which is a nice behavior to observe. Recently, I witnessed Ishmael taking a newbee security assistant for a comprehensive training round, which was lovely to see, as training holds a special place in my heart. My only major concern is the leaking of OOC information into an IC context. A recent example is the discussion of previous rounds and application feedback in great detail IC. I'm not too worried about this, as I think this can be easily overcome within the span of this cycle. Very worst case scenario, by the next.

Overall, a +1 from me.  Keep up the good work! Always lovely to see you around!  Boogiebot

I'll be sure to avoid doing that in the future, thank you for the feedback.