Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.22 Average
[CLOSED PR] Stops unconscious people spinning
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[BUG] [PLAYER ACTIONS] [BALANCE]
About the PR
Prevents ijkl spinning while knocked out or dead.

Why's this needed?
I know this is a bug that's been around since the beginning of time and is probably Soul but:
- How many times have you seen a player try to kidnap someone and get immediately outed because the "unconscious" body they're dragging behind them is spinning faster than the reactor turbine?
- This makes kidnapping and using knockout chems in any kind of sneaky way essentially impossible
- It removes any suspense/potential deceit from "is that person dead or just knocked out?" (we have a chemical that is literally a *Romeo and Juliet* reference but it can't be used to make someone seem dead!)

The only downside I can see is people maybe not being rescued from N2O clouds as often due to being mistaken for a corpse, but also if you see a horizontal person in a cloud of knockout gas you should be able to make a pretty good guess that they're still alive.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)LeahTheTech
(*)Unconscious people can no longer spin.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
It's still funny to this day to see and in RP we ignore this.
But if you want to fix it. Why not?
isnt the fact that corpses can also spin sort of contradictory to the last issue being addressed? i know the pr removes their ability to as well, but the current behavior doesnt exactly line up with what its described to be fixing. either way, probably for the best that its fixed. people moving when realistically unable to is kind of weird
Low key going to kinda miss this because I find it funny, but it's probably for the best.
Is making it unavailable for dead players but available to unconscious players in consideration? I can see how dead players spinning is goofy - and, as somebody who used to abuse it but stopped because it felt very exploit-y, I would be fine with that being patched out.

But spinning while unconscious is basically a universal symbol of distress, and while I get it's not exactly realistic, I think it's fair to say it's basically an established game mechanic at this point, intentional or not. I can only speak for classic, but crew apathy is real on Goon1, and I think this would make that problem worse.
You're still able to spin while stunned, just not unconscious. I do think crew apathy is an issue, but I would say people not noticing movement in an unconscious body and rushing to help is a feature. If anything this might make people more likely to rescue those who don't spin (often new players) because they won't automatically assume they're dead if they aren't spinning.
(05-01-2024, 03:55 PM)Kotlol Wrote: It's still funny to this day to see and in RP we ignore this.

No, it's not ignored on RP. Capulettium on RP has a serious problem because capu'ed people roll around like crazy.

I love that this dumb metagame-y shit finally bites the dust.
I don't have much to add here beyond that I'm on board with this. I think this has been an issue for a pretty long time.
The capu thing I agree with, but please for the love of God let us still IJKL if we're N2O'd or CO2'd.
(05-02-2024, 01:00 AM)Error2147483647 Wrote: The capu thing I agree with, but please for the love of God let us still IJKL if we're N2O'd or CO2'd.

Yeah, I think this should be removed for dead people, but stay for stuns and knockdowns. Since capu is supposed to make you look like a dead person, it. should be an exception and not allow IJKL-ing
(05-02-2024, 02:29 AM)Chasu Wrote:
(05-02-2024, 01:00 AM)Error2147483647 Wrote: The capu thing I agree with, but please for the love of God let us still IJKL if we're N2O'd or CO2'd.

Yeah, I think this should be removed for dead people, but stay for stuns and knockdowns. Since capu is supposed to make you look like a dead person, it. should be an exception and not allow IJKL-ing

People ignoring unconscious, non-rolling people is partially because they are not rolling around.

I think once this is merged, people will begin dragging unconscious people faster.

I think adding sleeping-signs (zzz) and snoring to people under no2-influence would be a better idea than rolling around.
there is already supposed to be a sign of people sleeping, but it likely either isn't working or people simply don't care

i personally hate this change because IJKL spinning when you're stunned is one of the few things you can actually do to struggle beyond "welp i guess i simply don't get to fucking play the game any more" and corpses dancing around is hilarious
(05-02-2024, 05:18 AM)Zamujasa Wrote: i personally hate this change because IJKL spinning when you're stunned is one of the few things you can actually do to struggle beyond "welp i guess i simply don't get to fucking play the game any more" and corpses dancing around is hilarious

My problem was that this struggle is against what sedatives are used for on RP: setting someone up/transferring then from A to B in an inconspicuous way.

There, this struggle is completely annihilating the design goal of the sedatives.

On classic, yeah, i fully get someone wanting to struggle and have fun with it. Especially because there sedatives are mostly used to go for a stealthy kill.

I feel like this is obe of the few cases where a mechanic gets the axe because it's abused on RP. And personally, i would be fully content with IKLJ-spinning being disabled on RP only. I personally gave never witnessed it for comedic effect and only seen the abuse case (especially by sec players who got capu-stinged)
Thought it was a bug at first but then someone told me it was a feature. When they said "it's you rolling in your grave" i went ah okay that makes sense. Still, it's not exactly intuitive.

I'm... okay (?) with it being gone. Still, I think that it has its uses and that at least some form of it should be preserved.
Personally, I like this change. For me it isn't about the unrealism of the actual act, but rather how it interacts with the games social deduction. If a crewmember see's an antagonist is dragging an unconscious person, I would much rather prefer some social interaction to figure out the situation. Compared to a secret handshake that immediately ruins the reaction a crewmember stumbling on a person dragging one of their own.

Although, stuff like CO2 or N20 being in the air that knocks people out for long periods, or even emagged medibots. I don't feel like spinning around is a great solution to those problems and it definitely needs its own indicator to get peoples attention. Since being horizontal is not a great tell if someone is in trouble when cyborg treads that force you to stand up while unconscious exist.

Otherwise, there is plenty of comedic affect left for when stunned people are getting dragged to an airlock, or a pinned person on the floor is flopping like a fish, or whatever other ridiculous situation.