Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 2.08 Average
[PR] Allows Unconcious People to Hear Speech
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[FEEDBACK] [PLAYER ACTIONS] [EXPERIMENTAL] [QoL]
About the PR
Does that thing. Lets unconcious people hear chat, see radio chat, and see maptext. May have some minor discrepancies (haven't tested with intercom maptext), because speech code sux.

Why's this needed?
Currently being put under for surgery, in a sleeper, getting knocked out by chemicals or N2O, etc etc etc all suck to experience because you're vastly removed from the round during them, and can't keep track of what's going on at all. This lessens that somewhat.

Notably this gives a bit more power to people who are being knocked out and kidnapped or whatever, but that's such a low percent of all cases of being knocked out that, imo, this is by far a net good.

This is a very simple implementation, I'd be happy to introduce more intricacies to it if people would like.

Code:
changelog
(u)aloe
(*)Unconscious people can now hear speech normally.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I like it
i don't like it specifically because it makes being unconscious a lot less interesting or important; sure, you went under for surgery, but now you know exactly how it's all going and can hear every time the doctors fuck up

as a point of comparison, tg's unconcious/blindness still has you unable to see/hear anything, but actions that create sounds are still shown to you -- you can see little footprints walking around, or a speaker icon where someone was talking, but not who, what, or much else

it also means that for the times someone is passing out -- say, sleepy pen, narcolepsy, shock -- there's no harm in letting them just stay passed out for a while. they aren't missing anything
It doesn't seem to make much sense to me, and as nice as it would be, it removes soooo much of the oomph of being ko'd. You would basically just be stunned at that point, and muted I suppose. It would make more sense to me if "unable to hear" was added as a new condition as well, applied to most knockouts except being in a sleeper, vamp hypnosis, and a few other antag ones.
(05-01-2024, 11:15 AM)Zamujasa Wrote: as a point of comparison, tg's unconcious/blindness still has you unable to see/hear anything, but actions that create sounds are still shown to you -- you can see little footprints walking around, or a speaker icon where someone was talking, but not who, what, or much else

I like this idea a lot more actually this has always been cool on TG though I never thought about it before.  It gives more distinction between awake/unconscious than just letting them hear everything would
I like the concept, but not the execution.

I'd prefer to change it so that you could hear *some* of the stuff that's being said around you. Maybe bits and pieces, words, phrases. Give the player like some idea what might be being said as they drift between consciousness. The doctor says "I don't think he's going to make it", just grab some random words and parse it as "... think he's... make it...".

I think that'd hit a nice middle ground between both extremes.
(05-01-2024, 11:32 AM)Glamurio Wrote: I like the concept, but not the execution.

I'd prefer to change it so that you could hear *some* of the stuff that's being said around you. Maybe bits and pieces, words, phrases. Give the player like some idea what might be being said as they drift between consciousness. The doctor says "I don't think he's going to make it", just grab some random words and parse it as "... think he's... make it...".

I think that'd hit a nice middle ground between both extremes.

This is also what i'd appreciate. We had a discussion on the discord about it and I believe this is a great middle ground. Being disoriented and unable to make out *everything* but still getting enough to be able to piece together the scenario is really compelling for the victim, IMO.
yeah, voices being randomly unidentifiable and speech being muffled would rock. makes me think of the crusher scene in HL1
i like the muffled/whisper hearing thing. stuff that's bellowed from genes or the megaphone should be clearly hearable imo, it's so Loud
i maintain i don't like it simply because you're unconscious. you are not awake. you are not aware of what is going on.

we have other statuses for blind, stunned, downed, etc. what would the meaningful difference between blind/stunned and knocked out be?
Have it be like dead players speaking near other players. Where you could hear something sometimes or hear very muffled speech, but it requires the players to be RIGHT NEXT TO YOU and has a very low chance of hearing.

This way unconcious is still bad, but you can do the whole: Speaking to an unconcious patient and sometimes hear the words of someone watching over you.
I definitely don't like the idea of being able to hear absolutely everything while unconscious. Like others have pointed out, it takes away a pretty key part of gameplay. I do like the idea of only hearing bits and pieces. It'd seem much more likely you wouldn't get the full picture of what's going on around you... considering you're unconscious and all. I could see interesting things happening with security considering you could only tell them bits and pieces of what you heard.
Yeah, like zam said, i don't like it simply because you're unconscious.

Also, being unconscious ensbles people to n9t have information.

Missing information is a very importsnt aspect of a social deduction game. Even if you can RP with not having full information, many people simply don't.

You got the same with people being knocked out knowing exactly who carried them into maintenance because they got 1 tile vision... for some reason.

I've seen this enough on RP to have a pretty good estimation that this PR will make abduction/surgery RP worse. Which i wouldn't like to see, really.
Not like at all reason is in real life generalized anesthesia should be unconscious and can’t hear anything.and you unconscious how you suppose to hear! By the way some kind of unconscious like normal sleep may have chance to hear is reasonable.
Copy-pasting from my comment on the github;

Really don't like this; you're unconscious, you shouldn't be hearing dip. Already we have people jumping out of the cloner after dying, and immediately screaming on the radio "JOHN STAFFMAN KILLED ME IN XYZ, HE'S A TRAITOR!" resulting in said traitor getting witchhunted no matter HOW well they built up and escalated a murder.

You can't trust people not to meta with this.

Also, people can full hear the radio while they're in cryo (not ghost cryo), not sure if that's an oversight or intended.