Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.57 Average
[PR] Money trees mutate the seedless gene strain upon mutation.
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[Balance][Hydroponics][input wanted]

About the PR

When a paper tree seed/plant mutates into a money tree, it will be given the seedless gene strain.

Why's this needed?

Money trees give an extraordinary amount of money for very low effort if spammed over and over again. By giving these the seedless gene strain upon mutation, spamming them by getting one money tree and replating it's seeds won't be possible anymore. This means to spam these plants you need to mutate each one seperatly, making it take more effort to spam.

This change makes it more feasable to focus on a few but more advanced spliced/stat pumped plants instead of spamming multiple all around botany.

Also, this highly diminishes clutter with seeds being all over botany while working with money trees.

While it would be possible to only make the money tree mutation unable to grant seeds, this also enables to get the seedless mutation in a rather reliable way, if you don't want to work with melon plants for some reason.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Lord_Earthfire
(+)When paper trees mutate to money trees, they will gain the seedless gene strain.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Not a big fan of this PR considering the RNG involved in getting a money tree seed in the first place can be pretty annoying and this PR does not address that. Also I haven't really seen this be a problem.
(04-23-2024, 10:55 PM)Cleaverwolf Wrote: Not a big fan of this PR considering the RNG involved in getting a money tree seed in the first place can be pretty annoying and this PR does not address that. Also  I haven't really seen this be a problem.

Because there is not much rng in money trees once you have seeds of a paper tree with sufficient potency. Money trees have a ~50% chance to occur on mutation on that point. And a paper tree is a guaranteed mutation by paper infusion.
i've never really had anyone complain about money trees ever. it's sufficiently niche and requires way more investment than mining who can make a more money than you'd ever need, with a few handfuls of hot syreline etc.

is there really anyone using these trees often enough to make others upset? or is this just a pre-emptive nerf of something fun but quite powerful?
(04-24-2024, 04:45 AM)TDHooligan Wrote: Is there really anyone using these trees often enough to make others upset? or is this just a pre-emptive nerf of something fun but quite powerful?

It's the second. Money trees are aknowledged to be, at least from the talks i had with other people, absolutely busted when it comes to their money output. People weren't complaining, but also agreeing on it being somewhat too much.

There was a discussion recently about nerfing them on the discord and there were multiple suggestions on doing so. This idea wasn't mine in the first place, but out of all of them, i liked it the most.

It keeps the potential of money trees, but raises the challenge to reach it in a unique way. Other suggestions were to clobber their numbers to the ground or make them continue mutate on their own, both things i personally wouldn't like to see.
Well this is hardly a nerf and more of a convenience to deal with the piles of seeds. So on one hand its nice.

But on the other hand, I don't like the weird unintuitive exception it create. Also a very common splice for money tree is melons who carry the immortal and seedless genes. If you really want seedless immortal trees you can force it to happen with mutagen at the risk of the unstable gene happening. A rare good use case for mutagen.

I don't really get the point of nerfing money trees considering there are far more efficient and effective ways to make a lot of cash faster.
Wouldn't it make more sense to just have the potency-to-cash scaling be decreased? That'd increase the time to hit the super ridiculous outputs while still allowing players who are skilled enough to hit those higher values to reap the rewards.

I don't really see how making the money tree seedless addresses the root problem here of the trees making too much money, but maybe I'm missing something? Plus, botany is usually so crowded that you can't spam the same crop in most trays anyways. Not a fan of this change, personally. space bear
(04-24-2024, 10:04 AM)Decarcassor Wrote: But on the other hand, I don't like the weird unintuitive exception it create.

It would actually be the second plant with such an effect. The first one would be the wholetuna mutation and the inert gene strain. It's actually a facet of gene strains i am thinking about expanding, like seeds spawning with gene strains (e.g. maneaters or hydragea)

(04-24-2024, 10:47 AM)Solenoid Wrote: I don't really see how making the money tree seedless addresses the root problem here of the trees making too much money, but maybe I'm missing something?

Yeah, you cannot pump the stats of money tree seeds easily.. it's common practice to get an immortal money tree, harvest it's seeds and pump them with saltpeter. That tactic gets a big hit.

Keep in mind, this is meant as a slap on the wrist. i would fathom veteran botanists will have a harder time increasing potency, because they need to increase potency on money trees they grow separately from the mutated money trees, which is mostly what i am aiming for.

All in all, the nerf is just to make going for high potency or spamming all of botany less free. It's meant to be somewhat minor.
I find this an odd idea to nerf and abit of a hard nerf too.

Why is flooding the round with money so bad??

Is it cause of the seeds? But.. seeds are always a problem with botany and why you want to toss em into the fertilizer wich takes a lot of time.

I don't see a point of nerfing something to all in all. Is a botanist gimmick. You can nerf it sure... but I don't see the point of nerfing it.
"Why is this needed?" Lots of money fast.
Yea... I can do that much easier and faster with stupider RNG. It's called the "Crypto Currency" in game that randomizes each 5 seconds in value. Mostly sticking to 0.1 - 0.0001, 3 ...but sometimes 5k... 10k.... or 500k. in 1 click. It's a dumb gimmick...but it's very easy to obtain (if you can get an AI law rack or find one in the wild)

Normally a nerf as this comes from it being overly done and causing issues. So I would like to know what underlying issues is with the money tree except: "Too much seeds on the ground." Since that is litterly the botanist problem where you can harvest both seeds and produce.
im more keen to let things be strong until people create reasons to make them not strong. this is unexpected and makes rolling it accidentally bad. there are easier ways to grind out more than enough money too.
(04-26-2024, 04:35 AM)TDHooligan Wrote: im more keen to let things be strong until people create reasons to make them not strong. this is unexpected and makes rolling it accidentally bad. there are easier ways to grind out more than enough money too.

My points exactly...
From my experience rainbow weed spam is still far more profitable than money trees, if something was ment to be nerfed because it's "too easy to farm alot of cash" it would have to be weed/rainbow weed, and that already recieved a nerf recently.
(04-26-2024, 04:35 AM)TDHooligan Wrote: im more keen to let things be strong until people create reasons to make them not strong. this is unexpected and makes rolling it accidentally bad. there are easier ways to grind out more than enough money too.

Fully agree with ya here, I can't say anything that hasn't been brought up before; If there's no real problem, it doesn't need fixing.
(04-26-2024, 08:36 AM)Angel Wrote: From my experience rainbow weed spam is still far more profitable than money trees, if something was ment to be nerfed because it's "too easy to farm alot of cash" it would have to be weed/rainbow weed, and that already recieved a nerf recently.

This. Even with the "weed cost nerf" and "potency nerf", money trees feel more tedious to me to gain quick money rather than filling every hydroponics tray with high yield rainbow weed and just dump it to diner merchant. The cost nerf for weed only meant that I need to plamt more weed, while money tree take a long time to grow and it doesn't yield that much money. Sure people can just spam infuse on money tree, but that's still putting more effort than regrowing ten trays of rainbow weed.

Also, not a lot of botanists know much how to optimize infusion, weed growing is easier to understand, infusing money tree and mutating it through the seed machine under 30 minutes? Not so much.