Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Access Request Console
Okay, hear me out.

Every HoP desk gets a new console, an Access Request Console. This console has an ID slot and works similar to the Chemical Request Console in that you can request things, but instead of chemicals, you request access.

Here's I imagine the whole procedure:
- HoP leaves his desk because there's nobody around.
- Someone shows up, but no HoP is found, they insert their ID into the console and request "Engineering" access.
- HoP gets a notification via PDA / Device.
- HoP gets a new tool (maybe integrated into PDA) that allows him to remotely access the Identifaction Computer.
- HoP asks department heads via radio if this request is granted / decides himself.
- The card that's inserted into the Access Request Console can be remotely altered via this new function.
- Console beeps after access has been modified (different beeps if approved or denied), person removes ID and goes back to work.

This solves two problems. HoPs are no longer necessarily encouraged to sit around the desk all day and people are no longer forced to wait for someone to show up to grant access.

This leaves the HoP free to perhaps help out in other Civilian departments, or to just do other things. This is also in line with the general decentralization of the HoP office since many department heads already have their own identification computers.
This is an old suggestion that has been requested before and we all said the same thing:

"No remote altering acces for HoP tools."

While in design it makes the HoP mobile. You gotta ask: "Why does the HoP have to move around?"
While this is an easy answer... you gotta ask yourself this:
"How badly can this be abused?"

And it turns out pretty badly. Since now the HoP can change permissions with ease from somewhere else.
So now his PDA is high value for traitors and gangs. They are gonna kill the HoP, steal their PDA and that request console gets copied over and over to give anyone they want AA.

Also since it's a PDA App, guess who else can now change access? The AI, send the program to the AI and let them do all the work. Subsume AI and now you got a stealth ID changer. Infact... since it's a PDA program.. anyone can technically do it with a modified PDA if they can get their hands on the program.
Now you take the request console with someone with Engineering tools... and you can see how crazy it gets.

Heck they will steal his SPARE PDA as well... and what about the captain? Don't they get this tool as well since they gotta do HoP work if they aren't there?

Essentially this problem of "wanting access" is not a problem on high pop servers. You can just get someone else to let you in.
The only reason you want access changes is cause: "No one is there" or "you are moving departments." or "some sort of gimmick."

I understand the problem you have with HoP's being stuck in their post most of the time. But... most HoPs only need to do like 5-10 mins of ID changing and the rest of the time they can loiter around. Mostly 30 mins into the shift, no one needs an ID change unless the HoP is doing a roleplay gimmick or someone needs to be demoted for being a crimer.
I like this idea but Well kotlol comment is clearly explained reasonable enough that we shouldn’t do.however the other thing like Money account might be possible I geuss.
(04-13-2024, 06:58 AM)Kotlol Wrote: This is an old suggestion that has been requested before and we all said the same thing:

"No remote altering acces for HoP tools."

While in design it makes the HoP mobile. You gotta ask: "Why does the HoP have to move around?"
While this is an easy answer... you gotta ask yourself this:
"How badly can this be abused?"

And it turns out pretty badly. Since now the HoP can change permissions with ease from somewhere else.
So now his PDA is high value for traitors and gangs. They are gonna kill the HoP, steal their PDA and that request console gets copied over and over to give anyone they want AA.

Also since it's a PDA App, guess who else can now change access? The AI, send the program to the AI and let them do all the work. Subsume AI and now you got a stealth ID changer. Infact... since it's a PDA program.. anyone can technically do it with a modified PDA if they can get their hands on the program.
Now you take the request console with someone with Engineering tools... and you can see how crazy it gets.

Heck they will steal his SPARE PDA as well... and what about the captain? Don't they get this tool as well since they gotta do HoP work if they aren't there?

Essentially this problem of "wanting access" is not a problem on high pop servers. You can just get someone else to let you in.
The only reason you want access changes is cause: "No one is there" or "you are moving departments." or "some sort of gimmick."

I understand the problem you have with HoP's being stuck in their post most of the time. But... most HoPs only need to do like 5-10 mins of ID changing and the rest of the time they can loiter around. Mostly 30 mins into the shift, no one needs an ID change unless the HoP is doing a roleplay gimmick or someone needs to be demoted for being a crimer.
This argumentation I can't really relate to. The captain is also a high value target, but that doesn't mean we make his tools unavailable. I think the HoP having a target on his head is a good thing (arguably he already has one). I don't understand what you're saying here. People already kill the HoP to gain AA, they can already just grab an infinite amount of spare cards and hand out AA. Yes, they have to be physically present for that. And this part doesn't wholly change, you still need someone physically inserting the ID into the computer at the HoP office.

You focused really hard on the PDA thing, but in my post I distinctly suggested it could be its own device, negating most of what you said.

Even on high pop servers you sometimes have a busy captain and a missing HoP.

I never understand why we defend the idea of having a role whose sole purpose is "obsolescence after X minutes", if that is truly the case, why aren't we just removing HoP altogether? I'm trying to find ways to have the HoP be a relevant role that can function as a Head of Department without having to be bound to an office.
(04-13-2024, 06:58 AM)Kotlol Wrote: So now his PDA is high value for traitors and gangs. They are gonna kill the HoP, steal their PDA and that request console gets copied over and over to give anyone they want AA.

The PDA would be much less valuable than the ID, since you can update perms with a HoP ID at any identification computer on station with no tracking or records.

(04-13-2024, 06:58 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Also since it's a PDA App, guess who else can now change access? The AI, send the program to the AI and let them do all the work. Subsume AI and now you got a stealth ID changer.

If you have the AI on your side then you have effective AA.

(04-13-2024, 06:58 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Heck they will steal his SPARE PDA as well...

HoP does not have a spare PDA.

--
Going against the stated purpose, but would be interesting if a request for access from a dedicated computer went to the relevant department head directly or in addition to the HoP. Could start with just an access request console that PDA messages the HoP, and go from there depending on utility/feedback (but then you'd have to fit *another* computer/console in every station.
Don't want this. Removes interaction
HoP can get a mobile ID computer if you wanna walk around station and not be anchored to your desk, sadly it spawns in a prefab.
(04-13-2024, 12:39 PM)Cal Wrote: Don't want this. Removes interaction

This is the only thing I didn't add since it would be a dull response.. but I agree.
What's the point in HOP if you can't make them fill out paperwork?
I am gonna add to this topic one more time, but this time... in a sense of jobs.

A: You don't have to spend all your time at your work station, you can take breaks.
B: You know how many jobs have to stay at their station constantly? QMs, Miners, Doctors, Scientists, botanists, Bartenders, Chefs.
Over half the dang station has to stick to one area to do their job and rare go out except for exceptions. Heck.. QMs want more ways to get deliveries done without leaving their station.

And that's basically it.

Why is it the HoP has to be roaming around? What is it that makes the HoP an exception over the other heads that might be stuck at their station?
If you roll HoP you don't want to do the desk job? Then why not create another job (Customs Clerk) so that person can do the desk job insted so you can roam around?

Seriously.. why is it the HoP has to wander around? Can you explain that?

I understand the line forming is annoying, but a lot of departments have that.
(04-14-2024, 03:03 AM)Kotlol Wrote: I am gonna add to this topic one more time, but this time... in a sense of jobs.

A: You don't have to spend all your time at your work station, you can take breaks.
B: You know how many jobs have to stay at their station constantly? QMs, Miners, Doctors, Scientists, botanists, Bartenders, Chefs.
Over half the dang station has to stick to one area to do their job and rare go out except for exceptions. Heck.. QMs want more ways to get deliveries done without leaving their station.

And that's basically it.

Why is it the HoP has to be roaming around? What is it that makes the HoP an exception over the other heads that might be stuck at their station?
If you roll HoP you don't want to do the desk job? Then why not create another job (Customs Clerk) so that person can do the desk job insted so you can roam around?

Seriously.. why is it the HoP has to wander around? Can you explain that?

I understand the line forming is annoying, but a lot of departments have that.

There is nothing to do at HoP desk other than update IDs. If there isn't people wanting IDs updated, there's no reason to be at that desk.

All the other static roles mentioned have stuff to do alone, the HoP desk doesn't. 

I think having a HoP calling button that pings their PDA could work.
(04-14-2024, 05:18 AM)Rmeaper Wrote: I think having a HoP calling button that pings their PDA could work.

This I like much more. Now you know someone is at your desk needing help.
let's improve this to have the following functions:
- HoP or Captain can respond to this, pressing a button on the PDA saying they are enroute.
- The pda also has a function to "try again" in 5-10 mins to signal the captain or HoP are preoccupied with something bigger. (thus radio chatter ensues)
Examples of cases: Having to do a trial, having to assist in an emergency.
- The button can only be pressed once per 5 mins or if the HoP/Cap resets it with the PDA. (To avoid spam)
- If the HoP or Cap do not respond in 5 mins and the button resets automatically. It will say: "No response detected, please try again."
- The button can be deactivated manually by swiping the HoP/Cap ID. However in doing so the PDA will say: "Request button turned off"
And anyone trying to press it will say: "Button disabled"
Technically HoP does get alerted if their bell is rung via their pocket watch shimmering

I have never noticed it personally but apparently it does, it also tracks the amount of rings