Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
[CLOSED PR] Fixes Colour Fighting Between Command and Civilians
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[INPUT WANTED] [FEATURE]
About the PR
Changes where command is green colour wise to blue (this does include important items like IDs so input is wanted). And changes vice versa for civilians (also makes some grey references for civilians green).
Why's this needed?
Putting departments colours into a single form is good for representing them to players consistently, along with some smaller fluff to change their standards.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Cheekybrdy
(*)Makes command consistently blue and civilians consistently green. Be aware this effects common items like IDs!
(+)Added the civilian assistant, a department staffie equal for the Civilian department.
(+)Staff assistants now have a standard headset instead of a civilian one.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I'm not so sure about making command blue. Historically it's always been a dark green, civilian is usually a light blue or light green afaik.
Okay, this is a bit weird PR. I have never seen any issue with staffies in civilliams radio. I have never even seen anyone complaining about how in anyway that staffoe listening to civvie radio as something bad, intrusive, and how it must be exclusive to cafeteria and janitor staff at all. I also disagree with adding a specific assistant for civllians dept, when staff assistant already can fulfill this role. And we already have sous chef and waiter job already, civillians assistant seems unnecessary for cafeteria staff and botany already have 5 slots. Not to mention a lot of newbee use staff assistant job to learn a new job and they usually ended up in a civillian dept as their first start.

I can get making more dept radio visible, but making staff assistant a seperate thing from civillians dept? I do not understand at all.
This is a pretty hefty series of changes. I don't think I like taking the green away from command, as it ties in with greencap and the HoP's outfits as being strictly command. And taking the civ radio channel away from staffies feels like a completely separate idea, and not one I really agree with either as staffies helping civ departments is a good feature. It feels weird to have a dedicated Civilian Assistant role when the civ department is more a collection of separate departments instead of one dedicated area.
Oookay a few things:
  • I've said this on the PR, but this definitely needs atomizing.
  • Green is a command colour a lot more than it is a civ colour: see a lot of command uniforms/carpets/consoles/manufacturers/equipment.
  • The "civilian assistant" role would just be objectively better than any of the individual civilian roles since it has access to all of them like a department head would.
I don't really feel that any of these changes are really needed. I also quite like the lack of colour standardisation within the civilian department, blue and grey staffies, green botanists, purple janitors, black and white catering. I think it would be a shame to make them all just green.
I do like the idea of staffies getting their own radio icon, but I don't think they need to have their radio accesses changed.
I agree with Minty, the Staffie radio icon’s a neat idea, but the rest not so much. Civilian Assistants have way too much access compared to others (e.g. Tech Assistant doesn’t even have engie access iirc). Say you rolled antag as Civ Assistant. You could grow dangerous plants in botany, dispose of any corpses through the kitchen or disposals and mix deathchems with the bartender’s setup. Should Staffies recieve AA because, in your own words, “Staffies help all departments”? Also, this job would make staffies more or less obsolete; When Staffies do help, it’s very often in the civilian department, helping in the kitchen or bar, or even growing plants.

Color-wise, I think it’s best to stick to what we have right now, for all the reasons that have already been mentioned by JOELED, Leah, and kyle. (And because staffie uniforms look best with blue stripes)
(04-10-2024, 06:15 AM)Rmeaper Wrote: I don't really feel that any of these changes are really needed. I also quite like the lack of colour standardisation within the civilian department, blue and grey staffies, green botanists, purple janitors, black and white catering. I think it would be a shame to make them all just green.

Should clarify this, not the intent of the PR. This more extends to IDs and headsets (the colour of the item, not the actual chat). Now that I think of it small traces of a department colour on TOP may not be a bad idea though

From what I understand this is somewhat disliked in this variation, but I can't tell if there's interest for vice versa.