Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
How do you speak in game? (poll)
I got curious and wanted to get to the bottom of it. Down below will be a link to a poll where you choose your method of communicating in game. 

Here is the poll

Id also like to hear your thoughts and opinions on the different options. Personally I only use y for radio and t for talking. I know some people also change they way they talk depending on what role they play. Such as ai needing to juggle between radios quicker.

Explanation?

Talking:

T to open a window where you type, then hit enter to say it.

Tab then type "say blah blah" to say "blah blah".

Radio:

Y to open a window where you type, then hit enter to say it over radio.

Shortcuts means using shortcuts for radio in your preferred way of talking. Such as :c :m :g.

Results:
I have updated it a three times now, with a total of 33 answers.

[Image: Radio-1.png][Image: Speaking-1.png]

And there you have it.

Boogiebot
Thanks for the stats! I find it pretty neat that a third or so of the population uses the :g, :c, etc. shortcuts. I used to do that, but eventually swapped to the Y menu instead. Do you have any plans for future polls? Seeing how people regularly emote, drag items, point at things, etc. would be cool too.  space bear
(04-08-2024, 07:31 PM)Solenoid Wrote: Thanks for the stats! I find it pretty neat that a third or so of the population uses the :g, :c, etc. shortcuts. I used to do that, but eventually swapped to the Y menu instead. Do you have any plans for future polls? Seeing how people regularly emote, drag items, point at things, etc. would be cool too.  space bear

Id gladly do some more polls in the future, if you or anyone else has any suggestions I am all ears. Right now I have some plans on making a poll about favorite job / antag among other things.

Oh and what made you switch from shortcuts to y? Was it something specific? I am curious to know.
I probably should switch to y- I always accidentally transmit security stuff over general by typing too fast
(04-09-2024, 02:34 AM)Binne Boi Wrote:
(04-08-2024, 07:31 PM)Solenoid Wrote: Thanks for the stats! I find it pretty neat that a third or so of the population uses the :g, :c, etc. shortcuts. I used to do that, but eventually swapped to the Y menu instead. Do you have any plans for future polls? Seeing how people regularly emote, drag items, point at things, etc. would be cool too.  space bear

Id gladly do some more polls in the future, if you or anyone else has any suggestions I am all ears. Right now I have some plans on making a poll about favorite job / antag among other things.

Oh and what made you switch from shortcuts to y? Was it something specific? I am curious to know.
AI has some differences in the shortcuts, not major, and I don't play AI much, but it showed me the shortcomings of using them. Plus, as klushy mentioned, you can sometimes mess up and transmit department-specific stuff over general, which is annoying at best and gives the antags intel for free at worst.
My memory is awful, and committing all of the shortcuts to memory is an exercise in futility for me, so the Y shortcut is a godsend. If there's any major benefit to the shortcuts, I'm not aware of them.
The major benefit, for me, is typing faster. Y menu takes about half a second for me, wheras the text box with T (or wink opens instantly. But then again i have intercontinental lag, so this might not be true for everyone
I used "y" for any radio beyond the default and Enter + say for anything else.