Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Game mode - space Elections
I'll preface this by saying it feels like an incredibly dumb idea but I don't know, maybe someone will find it inspiring. 

Noticing how the Captain is usually in their position without any form of vote, I've done a gimmick a few times where I encouraged an election. Usually the clown is incredibly popular but sometimes other's have done the right power hungry maneuvering to win. This gave me an idea, what if there was a game mode where the goal was to get voted in as some sort of authority of Nanotrasen. 

Of course Nanotrasen agents/operatives/sec would have a specific player they'd be given the objective to support, maybe tamper with votes later on, or try to get rid of opponents (It's a megacorporation and just hosts these events to give an illusion of democracy). Meanwhile you could have candidates supported by maybe some group of syndicate agents or some other foe of nanotrasen. 

Of course we could leave enough room for regular crew as the hearts and minds aspect would allow for potential goofiness. The candidates themselves don't have to be perfect, maybe one is an alcoholic, the other is secretly a changeling who ate the real leader of nanotrasen/the station. 

We'd leave about maybe 30-40 minutes for drama to happen, maybe meeting certain objectives for all sides to support their candidates by fulfilling funny objectives, giving terrible speeches, slandering other's. And after that duration crew could try to go vote though that could to be fraught with peril. 

Tell me if it's good or a bad idea, I just really like the potential for spaceman politics where a Staffie stands up for the little guy - promising insuls and to distribute floor pills - while nanotrasen plans assassinations to secure their candidate and a gang promises not to beat you up if you vote.  Obviously the provocateurs could be controlled by objectives to make sure they don't just completely grief.
There are election box in there but nobody use it so May be this one might be cool
(02-24-2024, 08:45 AM)meaow589 Wrote: There are election box in there but nobody use it so May be this one might be cool

Nobody uses it since nobody knows how to use it. But did the election gimmick a few times.
My big question is: What happens as a result of the election? Someone else becomes captain, or does something more impactful happen? Vast majority of my rounds, I don't know who my head is, let alone the captain. If its an entire gamemode, I'd want something crazy to happen that impacts everyone whether they want it to or not.
I think something that could work is having some special roles that are unlocked through vote. Get a form from HoP to apply for a special role, drop it in the box, get a poll made for you where people could vote and then win the title and whatever comes with it if you get enough votes. Multiple people apply for the same thing and it becomes an election.

Or maybe you can submit things like petitions or ordnances that people visit the booth to sign.
(02-29-2024, 07:38 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I think something that could work is having some special roles that are unlocked through vote. Get a form from HoP to apply for a special role, drop it in the box, get a poll made for you where people could vote and then win the title and whatever comes with it if you get enough votes. Multiple people apply for the same thing and it becomes an election.

Or maybe you can submit things like petitions or ordnances that people visit the booth to sign.

Would be kind of cool to use something similar in emergencies. Say the Armoury has been authorized or some other condition to prevent abuse the HoP could use the Comms Console to send out a distress call or something, with different emergency types. Get the NT emergency Medics and Engineers on a situation or maybe some other third role. Definitely would want to avoid any Security roles being added to the list though - as NTSOs are balanced by being Admin only really. 

Hell, we just got the priority role thing where you can mark Latejoin roles as needed and such (Thanks Leah!). Would be a cool addition.