Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Antagonist Idea: Gorgon
So as we have werewolves, vampires, and wizards in space I wonder if we can make some room for something like the Medusa or a general title of Gorgon. 

This antagonist would have a serpent-like body with two arms as it slithers and rattles across the station. It would have a bow with quivers full of arrows, it's hair has snakes that keep opponents from carelessly nearing, and its blood possesses some dangerous qualities "in an older Clash of the Titans it is used to summon scorpions.

The most dangerous part of the Medusa however is its ability to TURN YOU TO STONE/PETRIFY you in a single glare. Without special covering for your face, being blind, or being a borg you will be vulnerable to an unfortunate fate. 

There could be a cool down to make conflict easier and maybe some added benefits to encourage the killing of the Gorgon. Its decapitated head becoming a serious weapon, special chems from its body, and the bow could fetch a decent price for the QM's. 

So that's my brief idea, it could get some updated futuristic look to make it unique.
As a player antagonist, I am saying no.

Especially since the "head and body" can be used for stuff. Guess what? It would make this possible rampage antagonist... an antagonist critter that is hunted for it's loot.

If it's the only antagonist.. it ends when it dies. If it's an antagonist surrounded by other ones. Other humanoid antagonist would hunt and kill they can use it's resources for their own rampage.
So all you did was make a powerful antagonist who will most likely end up as a prey all game dues to the fact the crew wants it dead and make sure no one else uses it and the other antags want it dead cause they wanna use their tools.

If anything.. it sounds like a good enemy NPC in an azone, rather then an antagonist. Also lore wise... where would they come from? Why is it here?
Werewolves and Vampires though odd, can blend in and join NT to hunt. Changelings as well. Wizards are their own society and hate NT and their technology.

Where does the gorgon fit in? How would it get on the station? Why is it here?

So no.. I see no point in this suggestion from any angle, I am sorry. While mechanicly interresting to a degree. It doesnt make sense how it gets on the station and why as a standard antagonist.

BUT... as an event one or special summoned one. I have no objections to that. I don't mind that a dead player could be summoned as a GORGON since at that point it's a minion summon and basically a lesser antagonist. Kinda like RAT WRAITHS!
(02-13-2024, 03:18 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Especially since the "head and body" can be used for stuff. Guess what? It would make this possible rampage antagonist... an antagonist critter that is hunted for it's loot.

To be honest, a traitor, spief or security officer are also loot pinatas. No idea why killing an antag should not reward their loot in general.
(02-13-2024, 03:21 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: To be honest, a traitor, spief or security officer are also loot pinatas. No idea why killing an antag should not reward their loot in general.

The thing about security is they can contact others to help. And traitors BLEND in right from the get-go till they show off their traitor merch, same with spiefs.

They have tools to avoid their stuff being taken and can move freely throughout the station.
Also Security doesn't get killed by crewmates or hunted by them unless they turn into antagonists.

Also spiefs and traitors tend to work together too if their goals allign and again, they can blend in and communicate safely.

This gorgon idea is loud, everyone can see em and everyone will track them down. And unlike Wizards who can use tricks to get away like teleporting wich is also loud and in charge. This gorgon idea is litterly: "They spawn, the AI sees them, they are SoL"

No blending into the crowd, No safe means of moving ala arcfiend with a big fat "KILL ME SIGN" attached to them while using a crappy bow and everyone using welder masks to avoid being petrified. Tell me how long will they survive??

Unlike other antags, not long. Even wraiths, blobs and flock have a way to keep themselves safe due to their mechanics.

That's my main concern. Why do anything with the gorgon but kill? How does it make an unique interaction that other antags don't give? The answer: Non really... then being a loot pinata that has no being on a station. Thus why bother adding it as a playable antagonist?
hah, I kinda like the idea of a snake-person with a bow and arrow killing people.

would be coddled on rp tho which is always an issue

also don't really like 'decapitate head for weapon which instantly turns people to stone'
(02-13-2024, 08:45 AM)Cal Wrote: would be coddled on rp tho which is always an issue

I remember people doing this with brain slugs and werewolf. I got no idea if you can prevent that at all on RP.
A couple of my thoughts: Really like the idea of a new antagonist that uses uncommon and interesting weapons. You could give the Gorgon the ability to generate regular arrows and have special abilities to dip each arrow in a range of unique chemicals. Potentially they could unlock better arrow dips or other abilities after achieving certain goals like petrifying a certain amount of people. If the Gorgon can petrify you, there should be a relatively easy way for others to un-petrify you so you can get cloned, and petrifying should be an ability that takes a few seconds, is obvious to everyone around and needs the target to be incapacitated.

I agree that the Gorgon wouldn't need any 'encouragement' added for crew to kill it, people already do that to regular antagonists just fine. If the Gorgon has some sort of melee deterrence like the snakes on its head biting people who are on adjacent tiles, regular crew will naturally stay away. Maybe the severed Gorgon head could serve as a cool trophy to show off to your friends, but it shouldn't have any special features added to it.

Lore wise, it wouldn't be hard to fit it in somewhere and there are existing antagonists that don't have a whole lot of lore behind them in-game. Would love to see a snake-themed a-zone though. Jungle planet full of snakes when?

For extra spice, give the Gorgon the ability to jump under the floor tiles and travel through the station that way. Add a lengthy cooldown and action bar so it's not used as an easy escape but rather something they do in private or when they aren't in immediate danger. I'm just imagining scientists in Chemistry's shock when suddenly the Gorgon bursts up through the floor and starts Gorgoning all over the place.
(02-15-2024, 07:03 AM)Arlian Wrote: For extra spice, give the Gorgon the ability to jump under the floor tiles and travel through the station that way. Add a lengthy cooldown and action bar so it's not used as an easy escape but rather something they do in private or when they aren't in immediate danger. I'm just imagining scientists in Chemistry's shock when suddenly the Gorgon bursts up through the floor and starts Gorgoning all over the place.

Most of this post pretty much makes me agree with the suggestion now, but I like to add this part.

THIS is what would make the gorgon better. A way to move around safely.

Lore wise implementing ain't hard, but I still want to know "how" this Gorgon would spawn on the station.

My opinion: "Wormhole"
(02-13-2024, 08:45 AM)Cal Wrote: hah, I kinda like the idea of a snake-person with a bow and arrow killing people.

would be coddled on rp tho which is always an issue

also don't really like 'decapitate head for weapon which instantly turns people to stone'

should make antag coddling against the rules in my humble opinion to be quite honest

anyway perhaps instead of beheading the gorgon maybe you could just shave its hair off, shave off yours, and synthflesh it onto your scalp for some cool abilities
(02-15-2024, 06:22 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: should make antag coddling against the rules in my humble opinion to be quite honest

That could backfire really hard. Because when does antag coddling start and when does playing along with the antag gimmick begin? We got this problem already with the "play like you want to keep your job"-rule and any antag gimmick that tries to sow discord among the crew/pull off a mutiny.
I offically do not mind Antagonist Coddling. As long as it's done in a fun way.

I think one of the reason we "antag coddle" is because most of these players get to antagonist as this for the 1st time and we as players are like:
"Let's allow them to adjust and see what they can do. See if they can come up with fun ways."

In classic, you see flock? You kill em.
In RP, You see flock? You can try to reason with em and have a "Flock branch of NT"
In classic, Kudzu and Kudzu people? Burn em.
In RP, They can be botany 2 and since their neutral, they are "unknown"
In classic, Wizards get bonked cause they are annoying.
In RP, you can let them do some tricks before escalation.

But I think the rules of escalation is also a reason we "coddle" Antagonists.
They ain't attacking us yet, therefore we aren't attacking them.
It gives the antagonist the time to build up for an escalation. It's why we have vampires who are caught drinking blood ask 1st: "Did you get consent to extract blood?"

With Gorgons I can see a RP where science wants to "observe this specimen so do not kill em"
It keeps the antagonist alive and gives them a chance to escalate from science.

Antag coddling is not "BAD" per say. But.. by making it against the rules will just make players who know for a doubt someone is a "antagonist" , kill them on the spot.

And remember there isn't a rule against antagonists NOT antagonizing people, but there is a rule for antags to not randomly starting to murder everyone with a gun and bombs.

Anyway this topic has been derailed long enough. If we wish to discuss this more, make a seperate topic. I added all I think I must on Antag coddling.
(02-15-2024, 06:22 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: should make antag coddling against the rules in my humble opinion to be quite honest

ahelp it?
It shouldn't be against the rules imo. I just had the best friendly roleplay with a syndie as a sec officer last round- it was fun for everyone. Just a chill pizza dinner at the listening post.
(02-12-2024, 10:52 PM)JanusRose Wrote: So as we have werewolves, vampires, and wizards in space I wonder if we can make some room for something like the Medusa or a general title of Gorgon. 

This antagonist would have a serpent-like body with two arms as it slithers and rattles across the station. It would have a bow with quivers full of arrows, it's hair has snakes that keep opponents from carelessly nearing, and its blood possesses some dangerous qualities "in an older Clash of the Titans it is used to summon scorpions.

The most dangerous part of the Medusa however is its ability to TURN YOU TO STONE/PETRIFY you in a single glare. Without special covering for your face, being blind, or being a borg you will be vulnerable to an unfortunate fate. 

There could be a cool down to make conflict easier and maybe some added benefits to encourage the killing of the Gorgon. Its decapitated head becoming a serious weapon, special chems from its body, and the bow could fetch a decent price for the QM's. 

So that's my brief idea, it could get some updated futuristic look to make it unique.
Medusa is a good idea since there is chemical called Medusa that can turn people to stone (but I geuss it gone now ) and it quite good idea since it people can protect them self by become blind or turn face out of the gaze