Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bad leg trait/Canes?
I was recently playing on colonial marines- though the tone is different (and way more overwhelming) than here- I really quite liked the 'bad leg' trait. Your character starts with a cane in-hand, and if they walk without gripping it tightly in hand (by clicking on it in hand, much like how you change the splash amount in the beakers in chemistry), they are slowed, with a message in the chat about how this is due to pain, and if they carry on doing it, this turns into being occasionally 'stopped' by the pain. This makes for some interesting challenges- I thought about if this was in goonstation and things like being a doctor or chemistry, or anything really, turns into a interesting little juggling match between hurting yourself by moving, and optimising your space. Alternatively, you just go to Robotics and get it hacked off. Your choice.

Maybe I am biased- if you've ever come across my character in game, he is fitting of this trait- but this could be an interesting middle ground between being fine, and the 'stumped' trait, with the RP implications to match. The cane also doubles as a weapon on the harm intent. Talk shit, get smacked, as they say.
I mean, I'm down. Who doesn't like a dapper gentleman with a cane, or a crazy space-witch hobbling along on a crooked walking stick?

My only issue would be the surgery replacing the leg. There's always artifact limbs that could accidentally replace the leg, in which case how can you tell which leg is the "bad leg" just by looking at it? I'd rather have it stick around if you replace your legs, but it just transitions to pain in your hips or your back, or how the new leg(s) just aren't fitting right.
(12-23-2023, 06:42 PM)Dhaidburt Wrote: My only issue would be the surgery replacing the leg. There's always artifact limbs that could accidentally replace the leg, in which case how can you tell which leg is the "bad leg" just by looking at it? I'd rather have it stick around if you replace your legs, but it just transitions to pain in your hips or your back, or how the new leg(s) just aren't fitting right.

Interesting point.

It would be easy to have it show up under the examine command, something about a replacement limb not looking right. However, that's a little eclectic for a surgeon doing it and I know if it wasn't immediately obvious, I'd go insane. There are, as far as I can think of, three ways to replace a leg. An art, sewing someone else's leg on (ignoring how you obtained the spare leg) or robotics working  their magic.

An art limb could be as simple as a message in chat saying something along the lines of "but something still doesn't feel quite right" and you keep the limp (for some reason I've always envisioned them as transmuting flesh to something else, but maybe that's just me).

Surgery is a different kettle of fish to save the sanity of the surgeon. I think the best way to do it would be two messages, one to the person with the leg, similar to above, you keep the limp. To avoid the surgeon trying again and again or thinking they messed up, something about "you've done the best you can" (hopefully a little more fleshed out, my brain does not word too well) could clear it up, and the limp is kept.

The only way to totally deal with it would be treads, or being borged. As for cloning, I don't think that could justifiably keep the trait, same as the stumped trait (but maybe a fun one for a random-roll cloner defect)
We should have a trait that makes you sick if you get a cyber-organ/limb/augment.

Technoallergic?
(12-24-2023, 03:15 PM)Cal Wrote: We should have a trait that makes you sick if you get a cyber-organ/limb/augment.

Technoallergic?

Oooh, I really like this idea!
(12-24-2023, 03:15 PM)Cal Wrote: We should have a trait that makes you sick if you get a cyber-organ/limb/augment.

Technoallergic?

Cyber-incompitable.

"Your nerve system freaks out when getting cyborg upgrades or cyber organs, making them malfunction and thus making you sick."