Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 3.82 Average
[MERGED PR] Disables antag captains on classic
I've never looked at the captain and thought, "Yeah that's a trustworthy person there." it's always been, "That guy has a gun and all access, I wonder if I can follow them around till they die and I can steal it."
I like the idea some people put forward of the Captain instead only being eligable for Sleepers/Conspirators or other T modes that don't put extra powers/equipement in their hands. Seems like a reasonable comprimise. I will say i'm not really that familiar of how much of a problem this all really is on 1 so ultimately i'm fairly neutral on the decission in general.
still don't like this tbh
Against myself, I like the captain being as disassociated from sec when its populated as much as possible, I feel like captain's loud atmosphere even as the only sole Command member gives Command as a department a unique character which being security conditioned with a 'All clear' would remove that by moving captain into effectively Secoff with AA (batong sold seperatly). Also as in regards to mind hacked captains I feel are just as dangerous as Traitor captains in most scenarios. The power of AA also gives a method to setup good gimmicks earlier in the round due to less wrangling of resources, although this can allow for the low effort rampages that caused this thread.

TLDR: Captains being able to be traitors gives Command as a department a unique identity and feels like a unique part of Goon compared to other codebases imo.
(01-13-2024, 06:01 AM)cheekybrdy Wrote: Against myself, I like the captain being as disassociated from sec when its populated as much as possible, I feel like captain's loud atmosphere even as the only sole Command member gives Command as a department a unique character which being security conditioned with a 'All clear' would remove that by moving captain into effectively Secoff with AA (batong sold seperatly). Also as in regards to mind hacked captains I feel are just as dangerous as Traitor captains in most scenarios. The power of AA also gives a method to setup good gimmicks earlier in the round due to less wrangling of resources, although this can allow for the low effort rampages that caused this thread.

TLDR: Captains being able to be traitors gives Command as a department a unique identity and feels like a unique part of Goon compared to other codebases imo.
 Yeah, removing the ability to do silly all-powerful gimmicks in favor of them being HoS lite seems like an uninspired choice. The justifications used to remove their ability to antagonize could also be easily applied to any department head. 

You could go on a rampage with rcd as CE or make yourself captain as HoP and by the same token creative people can go further with those roles. It's an update that only caters to the ease of a sec role and limits goofiness because a few boring playstyles exist.
Another point is since now that cap is supposed to be trusted and sec lite, they should have the round minimum like playing sec does. I really don't like the cap being Green secoff instead of green staffie, even as a HoS player.

Also when Cap goes antag they can EASILY be found and shut down since unlike a lot of roles, a captain is probably not gonna abandon their starting gear, making hunt down the captain "just find the guy in green."
After playing with this PR for a while I still have to agree with my initial points. Since the change I have noticed a big uptake in sec captains who are just playing as if they were sec with a gun. While I do understand the point of the PR I still feel like captain is not supposed to be a person to be trusted intrinsically and we already have that guiding force in the HoS. And as for the power captain has as a antag I think the same argument could be made for him as a non antag captain never being a antag means that someone who has better access, armor, and weapons then sec is nearly 100% trustable to go around hunting for antags and that is what I have seen a lot of in the past few weeks. And while obviously captain shouldn't be going around valid hunting every round that type of behavior is unfortunately apart of the culture of classic right now and without big changes is not going to stop. So overall I think having captain be a possible antag not only brings some somewhat needed distrust to the most powerful person on station but also allows for more chaos in rounds and gimmicks people can do.
Wait they did remove him from antag list compeltely insted of just Hard Mode Traitor and such?
(01-16-2024, 05:43 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Wait they did remove him from antag list compeltely insted of just Hard Mode Traitor and such?

Yes, the only way captain can be a antag now is through mind hacking. Otherwise the Captain can not be round start antag or sleeper.
(01-16-2024, 07:09 AM)rando212 Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 05:43 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Wait they did remove him from antag list compeltely insted of just Hard Mode Traitor and such?

Yes, the only way captain can be a antag now is through mind hacking. Otherwise the Captain can not be round start antag or sleeper.

This feels like an update that should've been voted on more seriously. People don't always interact too much with the forums. 17 votes and +2,000 views doesn't seem like enough to make such a gamechanging update. Especially with this being such a community orientated game.
(01-16-2024, 07:33 AM)JanusRose Wrote: This feels like an update that should've been voted on more seriously. People don't always interact too much with the forums. 17 votes and +2,000 views doesn't seem like enough to make such a gamechanging update. Especially with this being such a community orientated game.

It's really not that harsh of a gameplay change to warrant a long, ardenous voting process, really.

This chsnge just shifted the meta. There is always the possibility to roll it back once the effects turn out to be undesireable. Or tweak it to fit better.
I am still against the whole "BANNING THE CAPTAIN 100% FROM ANTAGS"

I just want the captain to be banned from "Rampaging antags" like traitors and spy/thieves.

So whitelist em for Hardmode Traitors, Sleepers and such. With their kit alone they make most antags drool.