Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[MERGED PR] Purgatives and dialysis machine rebalance
(10-29-2023, 11:00 AM)Ikea Wrote: Calomel is also the changeling counter? Like, multiple things can and should have overlapping roles with different strengths and weaknesses that's a good sign of strong balance, theres no need for having **the** counter when multiple counters tend to be far more fun and cool. Also I think calomel already has pretty good design space? (Purgative that deals lots of damage). It may need some tweaks but overall the design niche it fills is nice. I think hunchbacks is pretty weak currently because its just a straight upgrade to calomel in every way, but increasing the damage drastically making it into a sort of super bootleg calomel (and also maybe add some fun chems it generates as byproducts) I think would be a pretty strong design space for it.

I think we need to differentiate between specific counter you bring to a special occasion and a general counter that you can carry around even when that special occasion does not come up. Smelling salts is the first while calomel is the second.

I think that if a general counter is stronger than a specific one, that general counter should have enough downsides that highly discourage the use of it or be much rarer in rarity. I personally think both do not apply to calomel.

A damage amount that hardcaps at 20% health, in my opinion, does not qualify as a sufficient drawback. Since neither calomel nor hunchback does apply any stuns, you can pop them in a fight encounter and still continue to fight or run away. And, when we talk about poisonings in general, the cap of 20% health means that the flushed poison won't leave you in crit. The only downside is limited fighting capability due to being in near-crit and slowdown. This is not even much of a problem, since the 0.8u/tick depletion rate means you can very fast go and begin healing yourself.

I don't think the low disadvantages calomel have warrant it being stronger than a specific purger, like smelling salts. Or dedicated medbay equipment, like the dialysis machine. Personally i would even say that does not apply to hunchback as well, but it having a 0.4 decay rate and thus a longer time until it leaves the body is enough of a downside so i give it more a sliver of doubt. By the way, Hunchback got a 60% higher purging rate than calomel and with the nerf of this PR it will still be better than what calomel currently is.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [PR] Purgatives and dialysis machine rebalance - by Lord_earthfire - 10-29-2023, 12:57 PM