Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[FEATURE] [GAME OBJECTS] [INPUT] [WIKI]

About the PR

Adds a new salvager weapon!
[Image: 463bc7b4-9419-41dc-9a52-d01fe84141ed]

The weapon is a 2 handed laser weapon.
It fits on backs as well.
It uses large energy cells and uses 1250 energy per shot to create a 20 damage laser.

different cells used
[Image: d2d7a98a-ac7f-4c76-966e-7d5b466d5527]
[Image: 00c1b1ad-cd90-43af-85e4-03b0cd775ffd]

The weapon can be used in-hand to adjust the firerate. This is between 0.2 and 1 seconds
[Image: 473c0506-6ad7-4996-8aa4-1aa96160c2dc]

If the gun is fired too much within a short period of time or the gun is emped the gun will burst into flame and the gun's cell will be drained!
[Image: 31d7d6e2-6049-42e7-99cd-d69b4fbaa551]
After cooling down the gun needs to be repaired
[Image: 402db7c2-0b65-4131-9028-c0085cec1869]
Steps:
1. Wirecutters to remove burnt wires
2. Add 10 wires to replace burnt wires
3. remove and replace power cell/light tube

The meltdown combined with the adjustable firerate allows a player to choose a slower firerate for a more reliable gun or a faster firerate for higher dps.

Using a rigged light tube will cause the gun to explode on use.

Using a wrench on the rifle will remove the battery
Using wirecutters will remove the light tube

A new battery/light tube can be added to the gun by clicking on it with the respective item

Why's this needed?

More variety in salvager weapons provides a more interesting gameplay experience. This weapon is designed around being less powerful than the survival rifle but has more ammo sources than the rifle as compensation.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)UnfunnyPerson
(+)Added a new salvager weapon, the makeshift laser rifle.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I always thought it would be cool to be able to construct a laser weapon the way you can kinetic weapons like the Zipgun. But I think this is missing a couple of things.

It seems a bit too trivial to construct; very part of this weapon is exremely easy to come, so if those are the compnents used, then there should be more effort required to create them.

I like the heat/breaking component causing it to break if overused, but I don't think it quite goes far enough. It should probably destroy or drain a power cell too if it happens, and make changing power cells take longer to change. In fact, I'd say that the heating would be as much of a problem for the power cells/wires/capacitors as the light tube. I'd sat a matsci optical lens would make more sense as a component than a light tube, but they're a lot less ubiquitous comparitively so I get not choosing them. I wouldn't mind to see using better parts make a better result.
I think a lens would make alot of sense, but also I kinda want it so I could change the color of the laser getting shot out. Either that, or maybe the color of the lens could change the light? Extra fluff anyways

On the subject of overheating, I got an idea for what could happen in addition if the power cell doesn't get damaged when overheating: Straight up catch on fire! COV weapons in borderlands 3 have a funny animation where you just pour a bottle of water over them to get it fighting ready, and I think that'd be a funny mechanic.. or at least see a staffy pick up your flaming gun and catch fire themselves.

Either that, or just have a coolant built in, but I'm not sure what could be as ubiquitous as welding fuel (used in slamgun ammo) that isn't just water. Sick sprites btw!
maybe use a flashlight to rep the exciter/mirror/lens. having it burn out (ala emags) would be a cute way of adding a non-stackable component for harder field repairs
(09-15-2023, 11:36 PM)glowbold Wrote: maybe use a flashlight to rep the exciter/mirror/lens. having it burn out (ala emags) would be a cute way of adding a non-stackable component for harder field repairs

Why not a flash instead of a flashlight? It would be the rare recource as well.
Needs to be able to be worn on back
(09-15-2023, 08:24 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: I always thought it would be cool to be able to construct a laser weapon the way you can kinetic weapons like the Zipgun. But I think this is missing a couple of things.

It seems a bit too trivial to construct; very part of this weapon is exremely easy to come, so if those are the compnents used, then there should be more effort required to create them.

I like the heat/breaking component causing it to break if overused, but I don't think it quite goes far enough. It should probably destroy or drain a power cell too if it happens, and make changing power cells take longer to change. In fact, I'd say that the heating would be as much of a problem for the power cells/wires/capacitors as the light tube. I'd sat a matsci optical lens would make more sense as a component than a light tube, but they're a lot less ubiquitous comparitively so I get not choosing them. I wouldn't mind to see using better parts make a better result.

I added a step to add 90 wires to hopefully make it more resource intensive to create a makeshift laser gun, ive also changed the light burning out to the entire gun starting on fire and needing to be repaired.
90?!  frown
That's pretty crazy for something handheld, I don't understand how 120 cables fit in a hand but repairing apcs takes 3, IIRC. And wiring that up takes around 10 seconds. I can't imagine how long it would take by that logic for 90.

I think the resource requirements should not be in quantity, but quality. Grabbing rare, hard to find, but not scarce, resources sounds like an ideal solution here. That and spending considerable time shaping the product sounds nice.
i dunno. one staffie needing to ransack 3+ stacks of wire just to get backups is something i dont like the implications of (a wire shortage is an issue for more than just staffies wanting laser guns)

flashes are a fair shout. or some other niche thing (plasmaglass shard + welder = lens? who knows)

improvised ranged weapons have always been a super delicate balance on goon (IE. they generally suck):
- zip guns in .22 are pretty slow, awkward and arent used that often iirc.
- slamguns are even slower than zip guns
- the clock had a 20 round mag and could barely crit you with it, yet it was absolutely hammered every shift
- bows can do some crazy damage, but it requires the victim to wait patiently for you to draw it

a horde of vigilante nerds with ranged weapons is *really* hard to do anything around as an antagonist. it's also just a massive crossfire risk (read: grife).

despite all that, i like this PR. but i couldnt say how it'll go down balance-wise
The 90 wire requirement doesn't add any additional challenge, really. I like someone's previous suggestion of it requiring a lens though. Also, maybe there could be a higher energy draw requirement (2500pu/shot?) that'd necessitate using a higher capacity cell to be effective.

These are all critiques, but I like the idea of the PR, and would like for it to succeed
I mean zipguns are as easy as three ingredients commonly found on the station so I don't think an energy weapon version of a zipgun should be too hard to make.
(09-16-2023, 06:42 PM)TDHooligan Wrote: improvised ranged weapons have always been a super delicate balance on goon (IE. they generally suck):
- zip guns in .22 are pretty slow, awkward and arent used that often iirc.
- slamguns are even slower than zip guns
- bows can do some crazy damage, but it requires the victim to wait patiently for you to draw it

That's a really good point, there's a level of jank missing from the laser rifle right now. Even the RP-5 Macro Phaser has more jank..

Why not the wiring just fries after a certain amount of shots, requiring you to reattach some more wiring? You could do this while it's on your back so you'd be giving up a valuable back slot for easier repairs, and it's not too unreasonable compared to reloading the slamgun or sacrificing inventory space to have multiple slamguns in your backpack.
I really like the overheating mechanic, the idea of having makeshift weapons just falling apart in your hands has always been part of the appeal to me. As for intended jank, maybe having it need to be cranked in some way after a few shots, similar to how salvagers have to crank their tool or like those laser muskets from fallout 4(god I hated how clunky they were).
(09-16-2023, 08:13 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: I mean zipguns are as easy as three ingredients commonly found on the station so I don't think an energy weapon version of a zipgun should be too hard to make.

Physical guns leave forensics on you, casings on the ground, and shrapnel in victims, though. Maybe it should have other tradeoffs than being hard to make, but i think it should be at least a little more difficult.
(09-17-2023, 02:58 AM)yellowlemons Wrote: I really like the overheating mechanic, the idea of having makeshift weapons just falling apart in your hands has always been part of the appeal to me. As for intended jank, maybe having it need to be cranked in some way after a few shots, similar to how salvagers have to crank their tool or like those laser muskets from fallout 4(god I hated how clunky they were).
The clunkiness of the weapon is intended to come from the heating mechanic + the fact the gun cant fit inside bags. I think they might become a bit too clunky if another factor was added