Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
[MERGED PR] Random gang member selection at roundstart
(08-21-2023, 08:07 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: Maybe instead of making it default make it an option for gang leaders on locker spawn if they want to randomly recruit people? Though maybe the people they recruit don't want to be in a gang that round and that would make things awkward. Maybe give them the option to kick someone out of the gang and then randomly recruit someone else? OR make it so the randomly recruited person has the option to opt out of it and then it picks someone else?

Steal the rev method of beating the crap outta people to get them to join. Call that Jumping In
(08-21-2023, 08:07 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: Maybe instead of making it default make it an option for gang leaders on locker spawn if they want to randomly recruit people? Though maybe the people they recruit don't want to be in a gang that round and that would make things awkward. Maybe give them the option to kick someone out of the gang and then randomly recruit someone else? OR make it so the randomly recruited person has the option to opt out of it and then it picks someone else?

Wouldn't allowing gang leaders the choice to recruit optionally defeat the main purpose of stopping metagangs?
I didn't realize this was about something "meta" related. In that case I dunno.
(08-21-2023, 08:16 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: I didn't realize this was about something "meta" related. In that case I dunno.

On RP, it doesn't happen as much. Maybe recruit a certain department member at best, but most gangs take anyone for the fun of it, if it's RP appriorate.

But on Classic... yea most people would recruit only in the META and those who want to antag (wich is a lot in classic), will accept.
Thus we get meta-cliques incidental during this game mode.
And considering Classic loves to use META KNOWLEDGE to determine stuff. You have to play META to some degree to even survive as Antag or Staff Member.

Anyway...
I await the PR merge and hear about the tests.
Note that this is currently being testmerged so you don't need to wait for anything.
Had a shift as a gang member with this testmerged yesterday.

Personally enjoyed it more than the "old" way. I thought I would miss being able to recruit, but everybody being picked from the start allowed things to mobilise more quickly. Recruiting was fun, yes, but by having everyone in the gang from the start, it was easier to have the feeling of being part of a team - and, consequently, having backup when things go awry and specific folk to help when things go poorly for them.

If a comparison must be made, I'd actually compare it closer to revheads than to conspirators. (Except for, ironically, the fact you aren't converting.) The existing gang point framework gives a very solid common cause, and once things ramp into getting good items, you can scuffle with security/heads if your gang works together - something most conspirator teams usually can't touch.

In conclusion, in my personal experience, the gains from this change outweigh the losses. I personally hope it is implemented.
From my own observations and discussions and personal opinion i think its a positive change all around. The recruiting thing was the primary issue. I don't like 'opt in antags' it defeats the social trust element of the game
Seems the experiment is succesful and I do like this idea more for gangs, as they can start right away and most importantly... the gangs can fight eachother faster.

Also the leader can decide WITH the gang where to plop HQ. So thats another plus...

BUT Let's not diss the recruitment too. I think we can use that STILL for Admeme.
I had sone of the new gang rounds. They certainly help get the action going fast. People begin very fast to spray and start aggression.

But besides that removes a lot of gimmick and Roleplay potential. By being an opt-in antag, you were required to present something interesting to get the ball going. That falls away, which means people fall fast into the gang gameplay loop instead of gimmicks.

So, in essence, i think the change pronounces the core gameplay loop of gangs. This would be good, if we still had conspirators.
this change is great overall
Does seem to ignore a tag preference. As in rolling people with all antags disabled
Just played a round with the testmerge on four where at roundstart every non-silicon crew except 1 was a gang member (four antags) n it made for a really really lopsided round for the handful of sec/command/crew that latejoined, maybe the numbers could be less for lowpop?
(08-22-2023, 02:34 AM)Kotlol Wrote:
(08-21-2023, 08:16 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: I didn't realize this was about something "meta" related. In that case I dunno.

On RP, it doesn't happen as much. Maybe recruit a certain department member at best, but most gangs take anyone for the fun of it, if it's RP appriorate.

But on Classic... yea most people would recruit only in the META and those who want to antag (wich is a lot in classic), will accept.
And considering Classic loves to use META KNOWLEDGE to determine stuff. You have to play META to some degree to even survive as Antag or Staff Member.

Anyway...
Not to be rude but how often do you play on classic? I see lots of negativity towards classic from you in your posts but I don't think I've seen your character on classic and I only play on classic. I can agree there is some degree of meta in gangs but most people just give out their flyers randomly. But I have no idea what you mean about needing meta knowledge to survive on classic, firstly thats a rather vague blanket statement, secondly from my experience on classic its just not true.
(08-28-2023, 09:15 AM)MorganFreeman Wrote:
(08-22-2023, 02:34 AM)Kotlol Wrote:

Anyway...
Not to be rude but how often do you play on classic? I see lots of negativity towards classic from you in your posts but I don't think I've seen your character on classic and I only play on classic. I can agree there is some degree of meta in gangs but most people just give out their flyers randomly. But I have no idea what you mean about needing meta knowledge to survive on classic, firstly thats a rather vague blanket statement, secondly from my experience on classic its just not true.
Nice font.
ℭ𝔩𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔦𝔠 𝔯𝔢𝔤𝔲𝔩𝔞𝔯, 𝕔𝕒𝕟 𝕔𝕠𝕟𝕗𝕚𝕣𝕞 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕞𝕖𝕥𝕒-𝔀𝓱𝓪𝓽𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓻 ɪꜱ ᴀɴ ɪꜱꜱᴜᴇ, ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ ʀᴜꜱʜɪɴɢ ᴏʙᴊᴇᴄᴛꜱ, 𝙢𝙞𝙣𝙙𝙝𝙖𝙘𝙠𝙞𝙣𝙜/𝙧𝙚𝙘𝙧𝙪𝙞𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙜/𝙚𝙩𝙘 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙞𝙧 𝙢𝙚𝙩𝙖𝙛𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙣𝙙 𝙧𝙤𝙗𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙗𝙪𝙙𝙙𝙮 𝙩𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙠𝙮 Iᔕ ᗩ ᐯᗩᒪIᗪ ᑕOᑎᑕEᖇᑎ, mainly one of the reasons why this change was made, although i can understand if you don't trus them
(08-28-2023, 09:15 AM)MorganFreeman Wrote:

I play infrequently, I 90% play RP, but do I jump on classic on a "randomized" charater every so often and I know some of the classic expirences.

It's fair to give this concern, but from every time I played Classic and I try to do a slower approach... or a goofier approach of things.. I get overrun by antags.
I have seen the meta problems of classic a few times myself and since I am "mr. random mcrandom" You do not see me at all.

Anyway... so yes I have an infrequent expirence.. but this is also true for RP since I only play at certain hours and days and when people complain about the WEREWOLF rampages on RP, I was like: "I never seen them rampage as described here, must be the times I play." Since I only had positive expirences with Wizards and Werewolves.

So you could say my expirences are "too infrequent"

I may sound negative of classic, but in my opinion. It's not my taste most of the time. And when I do want all action and reaction I hop into Classic.

Anyway this is a derailment of the topic and I have explained myself enough.
(also I got nothing else to add to this topic then this post)