Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Borg thermodynamics rework
I dont want to retype this stuff so here: https://hackmd.io/@n_CS7WI_S6iWfLJZT_uSQA/rJIFmYvKn
I’d like feedback especially on the heat shield rework, discussion regarding the cold idea would be neat as well, however the first pr wont touch that at all (nor is it guaranteed it will even happen), so dont feel the need to go too in depth there.
Btw if you care please share what thermal upgrade approach you think would be best, dont feel the need to make it thoughtful
I'll be the one to say this: "Suspicious Link"
Love it, if implemented will be one of the best balance changes.
Big fan of these changes, perfect addition to existing mechanics that both make sense on a logical point of view and are excused by the rule of cool where they don't make so much sense. I don't see any particular issues, you seem to consider all necessary issues (such as clamping to prevent insta-death).

My only concern is for people to start messing around with plasmafires just in order to become GLOWBORGS, and thus jeopardizing the station in some capacity, but that's a separate issue.
(07-10-2023, 04:38 AM)Glamurio Wrote: Big fan of these changes, perfect addition to existing mechanics that both make sense on a logical point of view and are excused by the rule of cool where they don't make so much sense. I don't see any particular issues, you seem to consider all necessary issues (such as clamping to prevent insta-death).

My only concern is for people to start messing around with plasmafires just in order to become GLOWBORGS, and thus jeopardizing the station in some capacity, but that's a separate issue.

Yes that is breaking the rules, i dont think breaking the rules should be taken into account as you could use anything to break the rules
(07-10-2023, 06:18 AM)MorganFreeman Wrote:
(07-10-2023, 04:38 AM)Glamurio Wrote: Big fan of these changes, perfect addition to existing mechanics that both make sense on a logical point of view and are excused by the rule of cool where they don't make so much sense. I don't see any particular issues, you seem to consider all necessary issues (such as clamping to prevent insta-death).

Yes that is breaking the rules, i dont think breaking the rules should be taken into account as you could use anything to break the rules

No, in fact, random people breaking the rules is one of the biggest reasons why many features don't get made. RP Wizards and Werewolves weren't added to RP because people were worried antagonists would break RP rules and just go apeshit (they were wrong).

imo addressing potential issues with people breaking the rules is still worthwhile. Just because it's against the rule doesn't mean it doesn't encourage people to do it.
(07-10-2023, 04:38 AM)Glamurio Wrote: My only concern is for people to start messing around with plasmafires just in order to become GLOWBORGS, and thus jeopardizing the station in some capacity, but that's a separate issue.

If you have the knowledge that borgs glow when they get hot, chances are they’ll know that toxins exists and that toxins is a far better place for plasma fires both rules wise and mechanically. Not to mention the fact that like 3/4ths of rounds come with a teg as well. I seriously doubt thisll be a problem
(07-10-2023, 11:30 AM)Glamurio Wrote:
(07-10-2023, 06:18 AM)MorganFreeman Wrote:

No, in fact, random people breaking the rules is one of the biggest reasons why many features don't get made. RP Wizards and Werewolves weren't added to RP because people were worried antagonists would break RP rules and just go apeshit (they were wrong).

imo addressing potential issues with people breaking the rules is still worthwhile. Just because it's against the rule doesn't mean it doesn't encourage people to do it.
Apologies if this is going off topic but actual features not being added to the game cause people might break the rules with it seems very counter intuitive, we might as well remove toxins for that matter as people might bomb places and break the rules, the example you provided seems very much an RP specific issue where those 2 antags are specifically rampage antags who are inclined to defy RP rules by their very nature. Therefore the problems they pose are to the RP ruleset and not the classic one, I think that is the reason their addition to RP has been a hesistant one but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
Let me add on the off topicness.

People in games will always find ways to break rules with something, even as silly as a cosematic.

But.. suggestions should be considered with "how people can use it to break rules and why"

An example is a stick. You can't craft anything with it... it's just a silly stick and it breaks when you hit it.
Sounds very useless huh? Very unable to be used for rule breaking...
Well yet.. there is a way. And how?
Well take a stick... then get a lot of sticks.. then bundle them and --- You get a slur.
Name the bundle an in game charater and congrats... you get it.

So always consider and discuss the possible inclinations and outcomes. My example is barely an issue since the person who does this would be ahelped and banned.

But we used to have ghostdrones who had RCDs... and that was changed to the cardboard one since as you guessed it... Ghostdrones were used to grief after death. Putting down walls faster then anyone can... it was so frequent on classic, it got removed cause... banning people from doing it is tiring work on a daily basis.

Anyway enough off topics... back on track.

This idea is good, I think it's a fun idea that adds more fun interactions for borgs.