Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannot connect to Goonstation specifically
Two hours ago the game randomly lost connection mid round, since then I cannot connect to any of the goonstation servers while any other servers or even different games work perfectly fine.

It tries to connect for a while and then either says the iconic "Dream seeker cannot reach Byond, check your firewall" or just "Connection failed".

I have:
  • Restarted my PC
  • Removed my PC from the power grid
  • Cleared my cache on both Byond and entire PC
  • Deeinstalled Byond and purged everything related to it or Dreamseeker
  • Reeinstalled the beta
  • Allowed EVERYTHING regarding Byond in my firewall and set everything as an exeption in my antivirus, if a virus ever gets in these files im fucked
  • Changed the cable of my internet connection

All of these steps did nothing.
I didn't do anything banworthy prior to this (in the last few weeks) and no admin contacted me, so unless I randomly got shadow blacklisted for whatever reason, I doubt that I am banned.

Can you please help me?
Today is my free day and I did not intent to use it with another two hours of pointless troubleshooting!
A: Do you use a VPN or been using it?
If so get rid of it.

B: Does anyone else in your house/apparment use your internet and might play Byond games or goon station?
If so, there is a chance they got your IP banned.

C: What exactly was happening that round and did you check on discord if the server wasn't down?
If not.. move on to next question.

D: Has your provider started gating certain access gates? You could be from a country that is now blocking certain regions of the world and your provider has to do it.
I don't want you to dox yourself, but try checking if your country has blocked out going servers like to the goon ones.

E: Can you connect to other code bases or websites similiar to Goon? This could be a regional block check.

F: It could be a sub server has conked out that connects to the Goon servers. With that one gone.. you cannot connect to goon what so ever. Considering certain states of the world... it might been destroyed and therefore you cannot connect to goon what so ever and gotta reroute somehow to avoid that sub server.

G: Did you try connecting from a laptop from another location on your acount to see if you are banned or ip banned? If you connect it rules out acount bans (but from what I see , admins do give you a ban message so it ain't this but thats the last test)

And last:
Have you cleared every browser cache? Not just Chrome/Firefox... since Byond uses edge... and you might wanna do that one too.
A: Nope, actually tried to use one as a solution, but failed to get one to work.

B: Absolutely not.

C: Well I could not join for 2 and a half hours while goonhub showed me that the server was still going with players on it.

D: Nope, I live in a wealthy place in europe.

E: I could connect to Meranthe and other SS13 servers. I even joined a round of Beestation.

F: Now this one is important. I actually managed to reconnect to goon, but I kept lagging out until it eventually broke exactly like it did before. To further stress that this is a server issue: I played two rounds of TF2 afterwards (shooter game unrelated to Byond) and had perfect connection. I also have 50 mbit download speed at all times.

G: Unless Byond works on mobile phones, I can only use my one PC.

I use CC Cleaner regularily to purge all browser caches automatically with the press of a button. I can double check later, but edge should be included by default.
It feels like a sub server issue or a connection between you and Goonstation. It could be a port fowarding issue too.. but it is 100% sure.. a sub server issue or connection issue between you and goon, since as you said: "You keep lagging on Goon." Wich means your connection to goon is shotty. SUPER SHOTTY EVEN.

I recommend asking around in the discord server for more info about how to go around any sub servers.
(06-28-2023, 11:32 AM)Kotlol Wrote: It feels like a sub server issue or a connection between you and Goonstation. It could be a port fowarding issue too.. but it is 100% sure.. a sub server issue or connection issue between you and goon, since as you said: "You keep lagging on Goon." Wich means your connection to goon is shotty. SUPER SHOTTY EVEN.

I recommend asking around in the discord server for more info about how to go around any sub servers.

Okay so I amnaged to play  anormal round but now its broken again. I THINK its my cable, which is broken is such a specific way that only Goon is affected. I will get a new one tomorrow.
That.. makes very little sense but not in the realms of IMPOSSIBLITY.
(06-28-2023, 02:25 PM)Kotlol Wrote: That.. makes very little sense but not in the realms of IMPOSSIBLITY.

After even my new cable has troubles connecting, I am convinced that the issue lies in my device, more importantly dirt. I am unfortunate enough to use USB C for my internet connection which is a massive dirt catcher and also extremely hard to clean. I actually recently cleaned teh port using an entire can of compressed air but it seems like this did almost nothing, as I managed to dig out large quantities of dirt using a thin needle. The connection is still not great, as I have to aggressively ram the plug as hard as I can into the port to get a signal, but its the best I can do until I get a USB antenna for wireless connection which sadly was no longer available and must wait for a week for it to be delivered. If it breaks again, I will harass my device with needles again. Or the designer of USB C.
(06-29-2023, 09:39 AM)Guv Guvington Wrote:
(06-28-2023, 02:25 PM)Kotlol Wrote: That.. makes very little sense but not in the realms of IMPOSSIBLITY.

After even my new cable has troubles connecting, I am convinced that the issue lies in my device, more importantly dirt. I am unfortunate enough to use USB C for my internet connection which is a massive dirt catcher and also extremely hard to clean. I actually recently cleaned teh port using an entire can of compressed air but it seems like this did almost nothing, as I managed to dig out large quantities of dirt using a thin needle. The connection is still not great, as I have to aggressively ram the plug as hard as I can into the port to get a signal, but its the best I can do until I get a USB antenna for wireless connection which sadly was no longer available and must wait for a week for it to be delivered. If it breaks again, I will harass my device with needles again. Or the designer of USB C.

At this point I honestly doubt it's that my dude. You need to do several ping tests to different servers to see what's going on.
Cause I do NOT think it's dirt and wires.. if so.. all of your internet is effected and all of byond... specifically Goon is 100% sign of a connection between the goon station and your pc is being hampered... wich cannot be hardware related... it's ALMOST unheard of.. NOT IMPOSSIBLE THOUGH since IT is weird. But like 95% unlikely.

I think it's a sub server issue...
Currently all works again BUT how exactly would I ping to figure out the issue? I only used ping once in my life and that was years ago. Thank you for your continued efforts to help me by the way.