Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
More uses for the Resist key
Resist is an under used feature. Right now, it's you way to break out of cuffs and to extinguish yourself while on fire. Of the two, it's the second that feels most satisfying, mashing away at the mouse while your spaceman wiggles on the floor

I think the resist key could have more uses, especially as a kind of panic QTE button masher that makes your character shake and jitter

Some ideas:
  • Waking yourself up when stunned or knocked out
  • Attempting to focus when high, drunk, or drugged and negate the confusion effect
  • Having more speed and control when under the movement effects of tasering
  • While being choked out, fighting to regain consciousness and break free of holds
  • Breaking free from a chokehold
  • While choking someone out, rapidly hitting it to snap their neck
  • While in a pod, hitting resist to kick the other passengers out
  • Causing the clown car to swerve when inside it
  • Causing people to fail removing items from you
  • Speeding up timed actions
  • Administering self performed first aid
Yes to everything except the Clown Car (it would make it an awful item due to the passengers just knocking you into walls), the Timed Action Speedup (I just don't like it, sorry).

Also what do you mean by Self Performed First Aid. Unless things changed, I thought putting medical patches on you was instant.
This would be nice, especially the chokehold parts, currently when youre being strangled to death its final, youre done unless someone saves you, but if you're able to resist fight your murderer that'd be interesting.
(04-01-2018, 09:56 PM)YoukCat Wrote: Yes to everything except the Clown Car (it would make it an awful item due to the passengers just knocking you into walls), the Timed Action Speedup (I just don't like it, sorry).

Also what do you mean by Self Performed First Aid. Unless things changed, I thought putting medical patches on you was instant.

Generally, I had in mind things like how you used to be able to perform CPR on yourself or putting pressure on a wound. I was thinking it could be used for future things like popping a dislocated limb back in
This would make dying a lot less "That was bullshit" and more "I fucked up"

Plus people are already trained to mash the resist button like crazy when captured so they'd probably find out anyways, even if it wasn't listed on the change log
ooooooooooor remove the resist key.
(04-02-2018, 09:53 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: Plus people are already trained to mash the resist button like crazy when captured so they'd probably find out anyways, even if it wasn't listed on the change log

When I'm in a panic after getting stunned/stung, I like to smash the resist button if only to make myself feel a little better. More uses for the resist button would be neat, but should still be minor, like the mentioned self-CPR or wound pressure. Anything resisting does should buy you a few more moments for someone else to come help you.
I really like the 'focus when disoriented' thing. The fact you can't already resist when strangled is pretty bizarre.
(04-02-2018, 10:08 AM)Gannets Wrote: ooooooooooor remove the resist key.

but why
if you resist while eating a donut you choke on it
Resist should help delay death while in deep crit through force of will. It wouldn't reverse any damage, just slow the amount of damage crit gives and stave off the random reaper while medbay does its thing.

Maybe it should also help with some of the effects of shallower crit, like allow you to wake up for a few moments while in the -100 permastun zone, or have an extra chance to resist passing out. Kinda like a second wind, a desperation move that can be performed maybe once or twice in a life.
(04-10-2018, 10:12 AM)Superlagg Wrote: Resist should help delay death while in deep crit through force of will. It wouldn't reverse any damage, just slow the amount of damage crit gives and stave off the random reaper while medbay does its thing.

Maybe it should also help with some of the effects of shallower crit, like allow you to wake up for a few moments while in the -100 permastun zone, or have an extra chance to resist passing out. Kinda like a second wind, a desperation move that can be performed maybe once or twice in a life.

Maybe the stamina meter could change color into a Resolve meter, when nearing death. Resisting depletes it but lets you live a little while longer, perhaps even being able to walk a bit before finally petering out. Unlike Stamina, resolve could be permanent so once you've tried to iron will your way through a death, you maybe got one-two chances left before you need to be cloned if you've used your resolve conservatively assuming you're smart enough to drop yourself in a well lit public place or scream on the radio.

I know coders might not want to introduce another UI piece, but I think adjusting stamina to either shrink or shrink and change color would be a good way to communicate that you've got maybe one-two chances to not die if you can resist death.
(04-11-2018, 12:57 PM)atomic1fire Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 10:12 AM)Superlagg Wrote: Resist should help delay death while in deep crit through force of will. It wouldn't reverse any damage, just slow the amount of damage crit gives and stave off the random reaper while medbay does its thing.

Maybe the stamina meter could change color into a Resolve meter, when nearing death. Resisting depletes it but lets you live a little while longer, perhaps even being able to walk a bit before finally petering out. Unlike Stamina, resolve could be permanent so once you've tried to iron will your way through a death, you maybe got one-two chances left before you need to be cloned if you've used your resolve conservatively assuming you're smart enough to drop yourself in a well lit public place or scream on the radio.

I know coders might not want to introduce another UI piece, but I think adjusting stamina to either shrink or shrink and change color would be a good way to communicate that you've got maybe one-two chances to not die if you can resist death.

Yeah I like that. I think you could just stick another meter right next to the one for stamina, right in the same UI tile. Or maybe little notches that get used up.

And though I really like the idea of them being a finite resource for the entire round, I could see food and drink playing a role with it, like eating something starts the process of refilling a notch 10 minutes or so after you've eaten