Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[CLOSED PR] Space Law rewrite
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[RP] [QOL] [REWORK][INPUT]
About the PR
This PR rewrites the space law to be in line with what seems for me to be the current security customs.
The old space law has been moved to a new file, space_law_old, that is used by the 1st Print of the Space Law item.
Any suggestions about additions, amendments, etc are more than welcome.

The current preview is available here:
https://hackmd.io/@Chatauscours/SJYOkkPO2
(Slight formatting changes between the hackmd and the real version are possible, a real HTML viewer is recommended)

Why's this needed?
The current space law is VERY outdated, it encourages 15 minute sentences, permabrigging and whatnot.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Chatauscours
(*)The Space Law has been rewritten.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I greatly welcome a space law rewrite! Currently, the best use of space law is to be flung at someone's face with comedic purpose, as the contents inside are quite outdated. I quite like most of what's written, besides a few spelling mistakes, but i just have a few comments about specific parts of the current preview:

Quote:Harassment:

To behave in a way meant to distress, annoy or torment someone.
IF YOU OR SOMEONE ELSE IS GETTING PURPOSEFULLY AND MALICIOUSELY HARASSED, AHELP IT!

While letting people know that being maliciously harassed is important to recognize and ahelp, the inclusion of the last line sadly messes up the immersion a little bit. I believe that considering the rules about ahelping such behavior are generally very visible when connecting that this last line could be removed.

The lines about Grand theft, theft and B&E in protected areas lists that ONLY the armory, ai upload and ai core are considered protected areas. The book is meant to be used as a set of loose guidelines and i'm not sure about making these specific zones the de facto 'protected' ones to be looked after. Arguments could be made for head offices and other zones such as security, but since this might differ from person to person and depends on situation i'd personally remove the line entirely.
Quote:Capital punishment may be warranted in the following cases:
The criminal is not an NT employee. Based on this grounds ONLY EXILE is allowed, unless one of the other conditions have been met.

I am personally a bit unsure about this one, as it appears to be confusing. First, the way it is worded makes it seem like this punishment should be applied directly after a first offense if the criminal proves to not be part of NT. I assume that this is meant for changelings, vampires and otherwise. The inclusion of the following entry stating that capital punishment is to be considered on repeat offenses also, in my opinion, makes this line redundant. I also do not see why only exile should be considered in such a case.

Lastly, the addition of a small closing blurb would be cool for immersion and could serve as a way to sneak in a joke or two to lighten the mood after the overall serious wording.

All in all though, a welcome addition!
Quote:The lines about Grand theft, theft and B&E in protected areas lists that ONLY the armory, ai upload and ai core are considered protected areas. The book is meant to be used as a set of loose guidelines and i'm not sure about making these specific zones the de facto 'protected' ones to be looked after. Arguments could be made for head offices and other zones such as security, but since this might differ from person to person and depends on situation i'd personally remove the line entirely.

Bridge, Security, and head offices are included in normal theft part about normal theft (sensitive areas). I just find that as is, breaking in into the Armory or AI upload is getting punished much more harshly (mainly due to the fact that when someone breaks in there, they are likely going on a rampage).

Quote:I am personally a bit unsure about this one, as it appears to be confusing. First, the way it is worded makes it seem like this punishment should be applied directly after a first offense if the criminal proves to not be part of NT. I assume that this is meant for changelings, vampires and otherwise. The inclusion of the following entry stating that capital punishment is to be considered on repeat offenses also, in my opinion, makes this line redundant. I also do not see why only exile should be considered in such a case.

This is mostly intended for Salvagers, wizards and "Diplomatic traitors" with the syndicate command armor, since technically vampires and the such are still employed in NT (which is why in the addenum I wrote humanoid and not human). It's to encourage people to not let Salvagers feast on the station, which happens rather often sadly, and space / dinner them to let them regroup on the maggpie (or wizard shuttle, etc), in contrast of instantly killing them. Perhaps it might be best to rephrase it to make it clearer.

Quote:Lastly, the addition of a small closing blurb would be cool for immersion and could serve as a way to sneak in a joke or two to lighten the mood after the overall serious wording.
Agreed, will think about something.

Thanks for the feedback!
Corporate treason should be added as a catchall for syndies pretending to be NT.

Grand Sabatogue i feel would be better with the title of Industrial sabotage.

Theft of corporate secrets(the theft of a lawbringer or ai rack or auth disk or other device meant for 1 or 2 hands only) should be on major crimes..

A caveat for Open Insurrection(revs) or acts of Corporate Warfare(nukies) would be good to twach the noviate those people don't usually get the benefit of an arrest.

Otherwise, bravo sir. You have done what we all talk about. o7
Thank you for all of the suggestions, the following amendments have been made based on them:
>Added a closing paragraph to the Space Law, subject to changes
>Loosened up the definitons of BnE/theft from Sensitive areas and BnE/theft from protected areas.
>Removed the part about ahelps.
>Changed a bit the paragraph about executions to clear up misunderstendings.
>Renamed Grand Sabotage for Industrial Sabotage.

I felt the lack of need for caveats about revs and nukies, since those guys commit so much crime while doing their stuff, they easily fall under the other conditions.
Also I feel like the stealing AI/lawbringer clauses are unnecessary, since they already fall under the "impacting productivity of the station" and "sensitive areas" parts.
I will be honest. I have never once read the Space Law.
Just solve crimes with your GUT.
(07-05-2023, 12:19 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: I will be honest. I have never once read the Space Law.

Honestly same, each HoS having their own way of doing things makes things fun
The fun about security officers is their ways of solving crimes.

Note: You can also be that one security officer that is kinda a hardass but never play a security officer that arrests people for no reason. (Unless it's RP and it's LOOC approved)

But if you truely want to be a crime solver, but the detective. It's litterly the most fun you have as a security member!
Grand Sabotage is still mentioned in the subtexts in Sabotage and Industrial Sabotage... But I personally think it'd be more fitting to call it "Grand Sabotage" than "Industrial Sabotage." Because the station is an industrial place inherently, most or all sabotage is industrial-- the important part, especially for the purposes of sentencing, is determining the severity of the crime. Industrial Sabotage doesn't necessarily sound like a greater offense than just Sabotage; Grand Sabotage absolutely does (and almost makes it sound like something to go for as a Traitor! Such a cool crime name...).

I think the part about Ahelps should stay in some form; I think it'd be great for the health of the game, and it's an excellent reminder that Ahelps exist and should be used to report shitty actions like that.

There's also some mention of the space... dinner... Should be diner.
(07-05-2023, 04:31 PM)mralexs Wrote:
(07-05-2023, 12:19 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: I will be honest. I have never once read the Space Law.

Honestly same, each HoS having their own way of doing things makes things fun

[Image: guidlines-pirates-of-the-caribbean.gif]
Might be nice to put in a bit about using the auto-unlocking brig lockers (because everyone forgets they exist)
Added a little tidbit about those as well
Most of it looks really good, but I'm not a fan of the section on Mind Control. Seems kinda meh that you're just to release them. "They just beat the captain to death and shoved him in the gibber, but it's ok cause they were a rev/mindhack and they're good now". I'd prefer something like "Reduced sentencing based on the severity of the crimes committed."

Edit: I'd also personally think it's funny to add something relevant to clown crimes. "Comedic Crimes" in special circumstances possibly offering reduced (or greater, bad clown) sentencing based on the crime, talking about crimes committed in the effort of comedy. NT employs the clown, they understand that sometimes crime is funny....
I'm personally not a fan of the opening paragraph and conclusion sections. Others may be so don't put too much weight on that opinion.

Think you need a dedicated section on interference with security (aka trolling) because it is very common at least on Classic. Technically it's B&E and Petty Theft but some guidance on handling it might be good. You could cover both the greytiding and people who aren't cooperative with arrest/handing over contraband in the same section.

Not totally sure about the guidance on capital punishment/lethal force as it's quite situational but I will leave that to actual professional sec players.
I like it in general and its certainly better than the old space law, but I do have some points of contention here.

• I had to re-read the section on capital punishment a few times to understand it. The section on not being an NT employee seems especially odd. The implication to me seems that you could arrest a changeling for eating people and if they request to get officially hired by NT instead of getting executed, you should let them. Which seems silly and probably not what you intended.
  • I would rewrite the example on disproportionate self-defense. The provided example seems to imply that it is unreasonable to defend oneself with deadly force against a deadly threat. I'd change it to have the attacker using their fists and the defender escalating to deadly force in response, as this seems more generally unreasonable.
  • I would add a big caveat on executing without the approval of the captain. Ultimately all staff on the station including security and the HoS are subordinate to the captain, and so I feel like representing it as if the captain were 3rd on the chain of command doesnt really represent the gravity of the situation. Security should only be actively defying orders from the captain if the captain is compromised in some way or their judgement is plainly unreasonable.
  • The beginning and especially ending section feel a bit too casual and "memey". Dont use the word "drip" imo, this was in-universe presumably not written by a twitter user in 2022. 
  • I would add a section on "Comic Mischief" relating to the clown and how to respond to them. Generally outlining that the clown should be allowed to perform mild acts of vandalism and general tomfoolery but not actually endanger the crew or productivity of the station.
  • I would add a section on stationwide emergencies relating to Nukies, basically explaining that security's primary role here is to eliminate the threat as swiftly as possible, and that discretionary use of lethal force will likely be necessary. Rules regarding the usage of captured syndicate tools are relaxed here (you arent gonna get bwoinked for picking up a nukie's gun). Most of that is pretty self-explanatory but its worth having in writing anyways.