Poll: What do you think about the pulling change?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
REVERT REVERT DEATH TO THE FEATURE
25.00%
35 25.00%
Reduce the penalties across the board
7.86%
11 7.86%
Reduce the penalties for all but big stuff
15.00%
21 15.00%
Reduce penalties for just a few things
5.00%
7 5.00%
IT'S FINE AS IS JUST MAYBE SOME TWEAKS
9.29%
13 9.29%
Comedy option
37.86%
53 37.86%
Total 140 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it!
Something to consider: There are now a lot of different sprites for crates. Some seem to be made of metal, some wood, and some cardboard.

The crate material (as well as it's contents) should all probably have an effect on how easy that crate is to move
(02-13-2017, 01:22 PM)poland spring Wrote: People are quoting it because that statement was used to shut down complaints about the change. If more lines of code were used cool, great, but the impression people were getting was that that number was significant because it was the entire point of an admin post.

It was in response to your comment:

"I don't get why this became a thing when there's so much other stuff that actually adds to fun that could have been worked on"

Not as a response to ALL complaints about the change. The meaning of the 3 lines comment was simply that it was easy to do and didn't result in less effort put elsewhere into other features you might deem more worthy.

Why am I having to explain this to you for christ sake.
evidently I'm not the only one who needed an explanation, thank you for providing one.
to what end does this feature serve

also the helium tank is unreasonably slow to pull around

its on wheels and full of helium
Note: You can use a light grab to pull a person at a much faster pace than pulling them. Don't know if that was an oversight or not
Evidently I am the other person who quoted the "3 code line thing" and I meant it in a different light altogether than "hey can you put your effort somewhere else" and more "This is will require more than 3 lines of code to balance correctly"

Which it will. Admittedly that's stating the obvious really. Don't know why their such a fuss over it?

Anyway other than my previous suggestions, I stand by the fact that this should be relegated to bulky items only, and things with wheels should not be included in this change. 
That literally winds it down to canisters, lockers, crates, chairs, other random bulky items which their are many, and people.

Give me one good reason why, say, you should be slowed down by dragging a screwdriver?
making people tougher to drag is inherently a double edged sword - yes it will cut down on certain easy abduction/murder/disposal tactics, but it will also make emergency response, first aid and impromptu rescues somewhat more difficult. we may merely be trading lives saved from a nerf for lives lost to it - many a crewman is slain by being yanked to their doom, but many a crewman is saved by being yanked away from it as well. we all know we cant count on doctors to be in the right place at the right time with a portamedbay keyed in

maybe the first aid cabinets, fire cabinets, o2 lockers and fire lockers could all have foldup stretcher kits added into their item rotation?
(02-13-2017, 02:10 PM)misto Wrote: making people tougher to drag is inherently a double edged sword - yes it will cut down on certain easy abduction/murder/disposal tactics, but it will also make emergency response, first aid and impromptu rescues somewhat more difficult. we may merely be trading lives saved from one nerf for lives lost to it - many a crewman is slain by being yanked to their doom, but many a crewman is saved by being yanked away from it as well. we all know we cant count on doctors to be in the right place at the right time with a portamedbay keyed in

maybe the first aid cabinets, fire cabinets, o2 lockers and fire lockers could all have foldup stretcher kits added into their item rotation.

One if the things about saving someone's life in game is, most people are in the mindset that they need to bring the person to the medical supplies rather than bring the medical supplies to them.

Having more stocked medkits and firstaid stations around will help with that
its good to bring ppl to medical supplies because it helps get them away from the fire/poison gas/vacuum/cold/murderers that were killing them and which might be harming you as well. hopefully the room you bring them to will also have air in it for cpr purposes

asking for better stocked first aid stations around risks us running afoul of the contingent of ppl who say that med supplies are too abundant and easy to access, but perhaps they will have changed their tune about it now that the dying cant be scooted to medbay in 10 to 20 seconds
Having played with this a bit, could pulling non-handcuffed, non resting people be speeded up? I've always seen it as more a "leading you by the hand" sorta thing, given that it can be broken out of very easily and it's a nice way to get someone to follow you closely.

I agree that pulling downed people needs to be speeded up for doctors and other wannabe dogooders who want to pull someone out of harm's way. Having the medical beds be speeded up, as well as a deployable stretcher would be quite helpful.
(02-13-2017, 03:26 PM)misto Wrote: its good to bring ppl to medical supplies because it helps get them away from the fire/poison gas/vacuum/cold/murderers that were killing them. hopefully the room you bring them to will also have air in it for cpr purposes

asking for better stocked first aid stations around risks us running afoul of the contingent of ppl who say that med supplies are too abundant and easy to access, but perhaps they will have changed their tune about it now that the dying cant be scooted to medbay in 10 to 20 seconds

It's an interesting point (of there being too many items) that I was gonna raise, but no, I think adding in more medical supplies to alleviate this issue is akin to applying the heimlich maneuver to someone suffering from cardiac arrest; it's compounding one issue with another.

One thing of note that rescuing people from bombs blasts are going to be near impossible due to cold slowdown, and is going to result in people just being thrown (which, in terms of pulling slowdown makes considerably less sense)
I haven't played since the change, but just from reading this I have to say: If it has wheels or it is small enough to pick up, there should be no speed penalty from dragging it.
(02-13-2017, 02:10 PM)Sundance Wrote: Give me one good reason why, say, you should be slowed down by dragging a screwdriver?

We have not really been given a answer to why this change was needed in the first place. I was told it was because no one uses transportation items in IRC but there has to be more to it as this change is overkill just to force us to use items we never even needed before.

(02-13-2017, 03:34 PM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: Having played with this a bit, could pulling non-handcuffed, non resting people be speeded up? I've always seen it as more a "leading you by the hand" sorta thing, given that it can be broken out of very easily and it's a nice way to get someone to follow you closely.

I agree that pulling downed people needs to be speeded up for doctors and other wannabe dogooders who want to pull someone out of harm's way. Having the medical beds be speeded up, as well as a deployable stretcher would be quite helpful.

Also I agree with this. Please do this along with Sundance's suggestions from his first post.

(02-13-2017, 03:39 PM)Sundance Wrote: One thing of note that rescuing people from bombs blasts are going to be near impossible due to cold slowdown, and is going to result in people just being thrown (which, in terms of pulling slowdown makes considerably less sense)

I've pointed that out as well, never got a response to that and my other concerns regarding the change.
maybe there could be a new intermediate between slow dragging and hostile grabbing/throwing that gives u a medium speedy good controllable firemans carry type deal
(02-13-2017, 03:41 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: We have not really been given a answer to why this change was needed in the first place.

Just because you don't like the answer you've been given doesn't mean you haven't been given an answer.