Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surgery / cybernetics / medical stuff
Hack doors like R2D2.
Shit bananas, I fully endorse this idea. It's brilliant.
I think robot arms/legs should really just function as normal ones do, unless you go for one of the expensive packs or get it reinforced.
If they impliment limb damage and actually make targetting something other than the head or groin worthwhile then the robot legs and arms could serve as replacements for organic ones crippled beyond repair.
I support this wholeheartedly. Perhaps with time cyborgs would be one end of a large spectrum of cybernetic enhancement, starting with simple stuff like eye or limb augmentation.
We want cyborgs to stay as an option that people want to go for. Whats the point of being one if you can just have the surgeon graft robo arms and treads to your flesh-torso? You're still human, so you aren't bound by the three laws, and if what I'm hearing from the rest of you gets implemented, you can still pick stuff up.

(Being unable to pick things up/interact with manual valves is my biggest complaint against borgdom :? )

If we're going to implement bionic limbs, I'd like to see some drawbacks to them if they get perks. Like if you get a robo arm, you can maybe wrench/screwdriver an item to it which cant be disarmed, but takes a while to pull off and replace, and if you have two then you need someone else to attack things to them. Maybe let them interact with doors like an AI if you're next to them.

Legs, perhaps you move slower because you aren't used to walking with one/both, but you kick harder? Maybe you move faster regardless but treat water like space lube instead?

The only exception in my opinion should be treads. Because treads are awesome and being a tankman in space is awesome too.
idea, Prosthetic limbs, while they can't be used to spawn items like cyborg arms can, they can be used to grab things and fight normally.

Putting them on a cyborg would probably require an upgrade.
Make it so that prosthetic limbs are robot limbs coated in synthflesh.
On the topic of surgery, I've been working on a couple of test things locally using disease code.
For really bad injuries and certain poisons, there'd be a risk of contracting a noncontagious ailment with stages / degrees. Severe burns, blood loss, infection, organ failure, radiation poisoning, maybe a couple others. Each one would have a surgery-related cure and some pretty nasty things that would happen if untreated, some might trigger eachother. Burns would put you at risk of infection, radiation poisoning could cause burns and organ damage, etc. I think ideally you'd be able to use any table or bed to work on people in an emergency, but operating tables would be a lot safer and more effective.

Still very much a work in progress, I've been pretty lazy with that project lately, but hey, it's slowly advancing.
Cogwerks Wrote:I think ideally you'd be able to use any table or bed to work on people in an emergency, but operating tables would be a lot safer and more effective.

all i really want out of this is to be able to run a back-alley rectoplasty clinic but that is still great news.
If I can open up an assistant surgery using knives stolen from the bar, wirecutters and oxygen tank anaesthesia, the game will be complete.
At least one of these new ailments needs to be butt-related, and can be solved by an emergency butt-ectomy. That way whenever I stand outside robotics and scream that they have to take my butt off right now or I will die, I will actually be telling the truth.
Captain_Bravo Wrote:At least one of these new ailments needs to be butt-related, and can be solved by an emergency butt-ectomy. That way whenever I stand outside robotics and scream that they have to take my butt off right now or I will die, I will actually be telling the truth.

Goone McRoboticist says, "give me your butt for buttbot research."

Pubbie Mcssistant exclaims, "No!"

Goone McRoboticist says, "If you don't do it, I'll take your butt by FORCE."

Pubbie Mcssistant exclaims, ""No!, You can't have it!"

Goone McRoboticist [145.9] says, "Pubbie Mcsisstant is having a butt organ failure, he intends to let himself poogib because of it. I am now enforcing mandatory butt removal to prevent this shit."

Goone McRoboticist puts Pubbie Mcsisstant on the table!

and after the butt cutting...

The butt comes off in a horrible mess of deteriorated flesh!
Top Hats Monthly Wrote:Right now, medical is basically just hypospray, inject, done. Can we make it more exciting somehow? I'm not saying we have to sperg out with EKGs (Although that would be entertaining) more medical devices and better use for doctors would be nice. I'm not sure, what do you guys think?

i'm guessing this is where cogwerks meant to tell him to post this. i would not be adverse to old murder medicine coming back if that one suggestion involving right click -> examine and the medical scanners giving you more injury details was implemented.
A while back, I suggested a Medical Dispensary that a few people seemed to think was a good idea. Basically, just cross a Reagent Extractor with a ChemMaster. Give us a big, bulky machine in Medbay that comes pre-filled with a small amount of chems. When you use chems, either by dispensing a pill, filling a syringe, or pouring into a beaker; it removes that amount from the internal storage tanks, instead of having infinite capacity like the chem dispensers in chemistry.

It'd be more convenient for doctors, because instead of scrounging around in three different lockers and four different medkits, it's all in one place. It wouldn't completely replace chemistry, because there's not infinite supply in the thing, it only comes pre-filled with a small amount, and there's only 8 different storage tanks inside it to stick meds. Doctors can then bug chemistry for beakers to fill the thing, have supplies shipped in from botany, or just get QM to order medkits and fill it with the basics. Nobody can run in and just steal the machine, so there's no more risk of looters completely shutting down medbay. Stuff like syringes and patches will actually become pretty worthwhile again, since it's a lot easier to make the damn things. And Medical will still retain it's quasi-independent, quasi-interdependent state that it's in now, since it will still have some starting chems, and still require other departments to do more advanced stuff.

For super-awesome times, completely empty the medkits altogether. Just give medbay a stack of empty, different-colored medkits, that can be inserted into the MeDispenser and filled with syringes/patches/pills directly from the machine!