Complaint At least commit to it
(02-21-2024, 10:18 AM)Bananabits111 Wrote: For someone who deleted my comment for peanut posting, you have a lot to say about a ban you weren't there for.
Forgiving that this is another pointless snipe, I want to point out that you made this admin feedback post about the general conduct of the entire admin staff. In fact, you state that it isn't just about the complaint thread where I deleted your comment for breaking our forum rules. So I felt that as a staff member I was invited to respond to this post. Now the only example you provided in your complaint was the exchange between UrsulaMajor and the person who was banned for welding doors as a security officer on the roleplay server. So in order to actually engage with this complaint at all I would have to engage with your claim that this interaction was poor conduct on UrsulaMajor's part. So I explained why I did not think it was misconduct and why I was confused that you were accusing UrsulaMajor of lacking integrity.

(02-21-2024, 10:18 AM)Bananabits111 Wrote: My problem isn't the ban, it's that she was willing to not do anything if the player just lied. Where's the integrity in that?
As a staff member, we cannot read a player's thoughts. If we are asking someone to say that they will not break the rules again, we have no way of knowing if they are telling the truth or lying. And it doesn't really matter either way. Say we let someone off with a warning and they say "I understand what I did was wrong, I won't break the rules again". The best outcome is that they don't break the rules again. So whether or not they were lying when they said that doesn't matter if they don't break the rules again. And if they were lying and they do break the rules again, we can remove them from the game or give a sterner warning or do whatever we decide is best.

Back to the specific situation, UrsulaMajor was asking the player to say "I understand that welding doors as a security officer on RP is against the rules. I won't do it again." When the player did not say this after an extended discussion, UrsulaMajor told the player that they were just being warned and that they just needed to agree to the warning. If the player was lying or telling the truth about understanding the rules, they would still be warned. The outcome of this interaction would not change if they said that. What would change the outcome was if the player continued to argue with UrsulaMajor about whether or not they broke the rules.

At the end of the day, staff have the final say about what is rulebreaking behavior and what is not. This player did not want to accept that, and would rather be banned than abide by the rules (and admit that they were in the wrong).

Lets say someone cheats on a test. Their professor goes "That's bad, I'm failing you for this test. Do you understand that cheating is bad?". The student says "Yeah that was bad. I won't do it again." Does the outcome change if the student was lying to the professor or not? The professor can't read the student's thoughts or see the future so they can't know if the student will cheat again, so the professor just carries out the punishment and moves on. Does the professor lack integrity in this situation?

Messages In This Thread
At least commit to it - by Bananabits111 - 02-20-2024, 08:33 PM
RE: At least commit to it - by ZeWaka - 02-20-2024, 11:24 PM
RE: At least commit to it - by Bananabits111 - 02-21-2024, 06:03 AM
RE: At least commit to it - by klushy225 - 02-21-2024, 08:07 AM
RE: At least commit to it - by Cal - 02-21-2024, 08:24 AM
RE: At least commit to it - by UrsulaMejor - 02-21-2024, 08:33 AM
RE: At least commit to it - by Bananabits111 - 02-21-2024, 08:56 AM
RE: At least commit to it - by Sov - 02-21-2024, 08:49 AM
RE: At least commit to it - by Adhara In Space - 02-21-2024, 10:07 AM
RE: At least commit to it - by Bananabits111 - 02-21-2024, 10:18 AM
RE: At least commit to it - by According_tome - 02-21-2024, 10:12 AM