Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Speed up ranching on Classic somehow?? ? idk
Lightbulb 
I don't personally ranch, but I want to raise this thread, as i -very- regularly hear that ranching sucks eggs on classic. I've heard it from people in goon VC, people in game, and someone raising it in mentorhelp unprompted sparked me to actually make the thread.

Of all the balance complaints I've heard lately, this is the one SUPER common thing. I don't really know ranching myself, but I'm posting this here so people might agree/disagree and suggest improvements.
Ranching was sped up recently and you can get many T3 chicken in ~20-30 minutes without Ageium. They got ludicrious effects, so this is to be kept in mind.

What i found though, is the gap in knowledge between ranchers. People struggle to get T1 chickens within a whole round, while it is possible in ~9 minutes (like most T1 chickens need maybe 3 feed cycles to reach the required 6-8 feed eaten for a new chicken type).
(01-14-2024, 10:03 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: Ranching was sped up recently

when was this? i havent heard of this happening ever and i cant see a patch note for 'chicken' or 'ranch' that implies this has occurred
(01-15-2024, 02:04 AM)TDHooligan Wrote: when was this? i havent heard of this happening ever and i cant see a patch note for 'chicken' or 'ranch' that implies this has occurred

When emily changed the rooster rate on multiple chicken a few months ago. It made the step from T2 to T3 which required roosters significantly faster (the only rng step in ranching). I also had the feeling chicken grow up sightly faster, but number tweaks like that (like the one that capped chicken happyness loss from bad food) don't appear in the changelog, so i dont know they actually got faster or i just began hallucinating. But i felt an increase in my ranching speed.
Maybe you just got better at Ranching :P
That's certainly a possibility as well big grin .
I will say using agenium can let you brute force any master chicken.
As a person who frequents ranching in Classic, I can say that right now that ranching can be rather slow to get to end goal chickens, as it should. However I feel, just like how a engineer or a scientists mixes for Toxins or the burn chamber aren't disclosed in a optimal manner by default, ranching has similar optimisations which are inherently secret. However I do see that newer ranchers do struggle to succeed to such a degree that the fragile investment of a chicken along with the time investment with a newer rancher mixed with the small time of the rewards being enjoyed is probably the biggest reason that new ranchers drop the career. As fine as I am to add a few niche methods of mine to the wiki, I feel knowledge along with it being secret means that the skill ceiling is high and information gathering on it is harder then any other job. (also a bit unrelated but doesn't monke have ranching? isn't the point of ranching being secret for no other server to have it?) I should say that if people who know what they're doing get coral and cluwne faster or several other breeds any faster people will be calling for their nerf, even if newbies struggle to even obtain them.

TLDR: Ranching has a comically high skill ceiling holding back a flood of the videos you see of broken Xenobio showing up over here, but the skill floor and the aspects that a more ignorant member would use should get them in a achievable position where they can feel rewarded for their efforts for longer then the shuttle ride.
In my opinion, ranching shouldnt be sped up... but streamlined. Have a T3 chicken that is easy to get to , to help understand mechanics.
(01-18-2024, 05:20 AM)cheekybrdy Wrote: also a bit unrelated but doesn't monke have ranching? isn't the point of ranching being secret for no other server to have it?

The point was for other servers to not steal it entirely, that doesn't stop other servers from recreating it down to copying the exact chicken breeds we have here.

This is actually the first I'm hearing about this.
On most servers its called xenobiology