Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buff the Stock Market and Make it Less of a Hassle
The stock market is a really cool and interesting way to make money. Unfortunately it's about 3 times the work of the slot machines/lottery for about half the profit most of the time. The UI is also really bad and requires a lot of window wrangling and outside note taking. 

My ideas are as follows: 

1.Make the market more volatile, stocks go up faster but also plummet faster, putting the potential money made on the level of the slots and lottery and above them if you already have a good amount of money to invest.

2.Add in a refresh button to the main page so you can update the prices without having to open up a new window, a notes page so you can jot down important times in the stock terminal itself, and an indicator that shows you what price you bought stocks at and when you bought them so you can have an idea of what kind of profit you're making, mostly QoL stuff that makes the process a lot less of a hassle.

3.Make the computer buildable as a terminal like the teleporter or cloning, lets you set up in a better more secluded location that isn't putting you directly in the way of foot traffic in one of the busiest hallways on the station, constantly knocking you away from the computer and painting a bullseye on your back for antags.

4.Add in a stock market pda program, it wouldn't necessarily have to have the full features of the terminal, just show prices and stock news so you can keep an eye on your stocks without being huddled over the terminal the entire round

I think these changes would make it a lot more fun and accessible as a way to make a shit ton of money.
link stock market events to traders and qm prices
This was I think Marquesas' pet project so that's why it's been left in the state it is.
There are things that are less 'we need this' and more 'that looks fun to make'; I think this was one of em'.

The thing that's majorly needed is higher volatility, as said. Everything else is just icing at this point.
if you link the different company stocks to the prices of real goods from the qm and traders you will be able to skim even more profits by rigging what goods you can buy cheap and sell high later, this will promote the much vaunted co operation between the stocks player and the qm player, you guys like co operation dont you. then you will have all the useless virtual game moneys
I kinda wish we had more of a "stock market" room, like there was on cog1. The computers currently just kinda seem scattered around, so more people may actually find them in they're in their own specific room.
Yeah having them in the middle of the hallway is a terrible spot for them. Cog1 was nice because they had their own secluded room, which you kinda need if you want to use them since you usually have a few windows covering the game screen. 

Volatility is definitely the main thing that the market desperately needs though, i can go an entire round and see a stock increase maybe 5 credits then plummet by 15. They seem to go down a hell of a lot faster than they go up. The expensive stocks tend to do good and go up by a good amount when they're on the rise. Unfortunately you need a lot of money to invest in them to actually get a notable return, and if you have a lot of money, why do you need a lot of money?