Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improving Gang Mode
Here's an idea. Merge gang somewhat with nations.
Have three gangs: research, maintenance and civilians.
heads of staff and security would be neutral.
staff assistants and gimmick jobs get to choose which gang they join (or be neutral and help security)
same basic rules of gang applies, only the bases are pre-established and the gang members are pre-chosen based on what department they join.
for clarification:
Research:
Medical Doctors
Geneticists
Roboticists
Scientists

Maintenance:
Mechanics
Engineers
Miners
Quartermasters

Civilians
Chef
Chaplain
Barman
Botanists
Janitor
Clown

the gang leader would be randomly chosen from the department.
the objective would be to eliminate the other gang leaders.
the rest of the rules would be same as gang i guess.
The gang leader gets to choose the name of the gang.
salix_catus Wrote:Here's an idea. Merge gang somewhat with nations.
Have three gangs: research, maintenance and civilians.
heads of staff and security would be neutral.
staff assistants and gimmick jobs get to choose which gang they join (or be neutral and help security)
same basic rules of gang applies, only the bases are pre-established and the gang members are pre-chosen based on what department they join.
for clarification:
Research:
Medical Doctors
Geneticists
Roboticists
Scientists

Maintenance:
Mechanics
Engineers
Miners
Quartermasters

Civilians
Chef
Chaplain
Barman
Botanists
Janitor
Clown

the gang leader would be randomly chosen from the department.
the objective would be to eliminate the other gang leaders.
the rest of the rules would be same as gang i guess.
The gang leader gets to choose the name of the gang.
This is a good idea!
I'd imagine the research gang would be pretty over powered. Considering they have access to: bombs, chemistry, the teleporter, the cloner, genetic powers, bot armies, most of the medical supplies. The other gangs wouldn't stand a chance (especially the civilian gang).
This sounds basically like spy, except on a larger scale. I think it sounds interesting but I'd imagine it'd have much of the same flaws of that mode.
MrFable Wrote:I'd imagine the research gang would be pretty over powered. Considering they have access to: bombs, chemistry, the teleporter, the cloner, genetic powers, bot armies, most of the medical supplies. The other gangs wouldn't stand a chance (especially the civilian gang).
Yeah, let's not centralize them into one area. Plus, gangs ought not to be too big in the beginning until they build up their cred
APARTHEID Wrote:So, what about the rest of the crew? Not the gangbangers or the fuzz, but the rest of us. What are we going to do in a round catering to cults of status? All of these suggestions encourage folks to join, but make no case to stand up to peer pressure.
First, not everyone would be able to join a Gang since the leader needs to approve, and there's a size limit based on current cred rating. The crew that can't or won't join a Gang can still interact with them through the gangs access to the Black Market. The Black Market is a unique merchant that sells illicit and stolen goods, and the Gangs can act as middlemen in dealing these things to the crew, since some items will be department specific high value items, such as rare minerals that mining has a hard time finding, or hard to make/find chems. The gangs are also encouraged to set up vice parlors to market to the crew with.
Roomba Wrote:This sounds basically like spy, except on a larger scale. I think it sounds interesting but I'd imagine it'd have much of the same flaws of that mode.
Hopefully not. The gangs are meant to be loud with their clothes and the actions they take to build cred, so unlike spy people will have an idea what's going on.

The gangs are also discouraged to kill wantonly since the Heat system would make things harder for them if they do.
MrFable Wrote:I'd imagine the research gang would be pretty over powered. Considering they have access to: bombs, chemistry, the teleporter, the cloner, genetic powers, bot armies, most of the medical supplies. The other gangs wouldn't stand a chance (especially the civilian gang).

Yea, this. Plus depending on the server and the time of day, you might have a gang with like.... Three people vs. a full roster in every other group (ex. usually when I'm on there's maybe two or three Medical Personnel and Scientists). I think one of the strengths of the proposed Gang Mode is that Gang Leaders can be anyone and they can recruit anyone (aside from Heads and Sec, probably). That means that certain members will be more useful than others and will generate competition for recruitment. This will generate incentive for Gangs/Gang Leaders to convince people to join and offer rewards to people who follow them. That way if the crewman just wants to do his/her job, the Gang will have to work harder or consider other means. If you limit it to three Gangs based on profession, you limit the freedom of Gang Creation and potentially run into more balancing issues.

Frank_Stein Wrote:Hopefully not. The gangs are meant to be loud with their clothes and the actions they take to build cred, so unlike spy people will have an idea what's going on. The gangs are also discouraged to kill wantonly since the Heat system would make things harder for them if they do.

And yes, the proposed system should actively discourage crazed violence what with the Street Cred and Heat ideas we've been cooking up. A lot of the Black Market items shouldn't have to be weapons either. Rather, they should work towards improving a gang's Street Cred or their hideout. Like we mentioned earlier, the Black Market would supply narcotics, gang garb, merch (ghettoblasters, couches, clutter used for fortifications and/or extra Cred generation) and maybe a few weapons (switchblades, baseball bats, nunchaku, gimmicky stuff like that). The mode may promote vandalism and heckling, but if that isn't gang-ish I don't know what is.
This: Imagine being able to choose your gang's name and the outfit they wear. you'd get some pretty hilarious results.
Yeah, I think the Black Market should have some gang clothes available on it. Have it generate bonus cred when members wear the same things the leader has on.

Gang name should work like AI. Gives ya one in the beginning, but you can fill one out if you like.
salix_catus Wrote:This: Imagine being able to choose your gang's name and the outfit they wear. you'd get some pretty hilarious results.
Frank_Stein Wrote:Yeah, I think the Black Market should have some gang clothes available on it. Have it generate bonus cred when members wear the same things the leader has on. Gang name should work like AI. Gives ya one in the beginning, but you can fill one out if you like.

The AI-style of naming sounds good. That way if the leader can't think of anything flashy, the game can do it for them!

And yea, I think that Gang Garb should be bought from the Black Market. That way it ties into the Street Cred idea, limits the outfits to Gang Members (giving crewmembers an incentive to join), and it means that if a Gang Leader doesn't like the current 'Colors' so to speak, he/she can change them out for something swankier or with more utility (Imagine a jury-rigged Space Suit, or street-made Body Armor). Not sure how you'd check if other gang members are wearing the same clothing, though..... Maybe the Gang Leader could set Gang Colors and the outfits from the Black Market are dyed accordingly? That way it'll be easier to distinguish Gang Members from other crewmen and rival Gang Members.
BruiseCruise Wrote:Maybe the Gang Leader could set Gang Colors and the outfits from the Black Market are dyed accordingly? That way it'll be easier to distinguish Gang Members from other crewmen and rival Gang Members.
Yeah, that would work. Some bandanas to wear on the head or face slot, some jackets, some suits for a classier. There could be a main color or an accent that changes, TF2 style.