Goonstation Forums
Deep Sea/Underwater zlevel idea - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Deep Sea/Underwater zlevel idea (/showthread.php?tid=7750)

Pages: 1 2

Deep Sea/Underwater zlevel idea - babayetu83 - 12-17-2016

what ive got here is an idea for a zlevel that is underwater and as far as i know there aren't any environments ingame that are underwater

it'd be an abandoned deep sea research station being reclaimed by the ocean. 

the entry point wouldn't be on the research station itself but on an oil rig above it 

you would then enter a depressurization chamber on the oil rig that would either function an elevator to take you down to the station proper. if you manage to fuck with the depressurization cycle or skip it somehow you'd die horribly or have your eyeballs pop out due to pressure 

now that you'd be in the station there'd be some fun and exciting things to do and see such as

find the rare sea bee/mer-bee
find and assemble a diving suit so you can navigate through the flooded areas 
find and assemble a pirate treasure map to find the treasure!!!

things to find 
grog
pirate outfit 
mermaid tail (you could wear it but then you'd only be able to drag yourself across the floor to move)
old timey diving suit
pirate map
pirate treasure
crab cakes (yum)
mini submarine vehicle to explore more freely 
fake gold dubloons (actually just chocolate coins)
real gold dubloons

enemies to avoid
sea urchins (spiny little sea caltrops that you might find on the ground in flooded areas that'll hurt you if you step over them without a diving suit)
the gib shark (should be self explanatory)
sea mines
angry soviet skeleton pirates

RE: Deep Sea/Underwater zlevel idea - Hulk Hogan - 12-17-2016

This is a great idea. I know that a goon worked on Sea Laboratory 7 and a Mars server. http://i.imgur.com/xRTI1ap.png

The Mars server was re-purposed into the Mars adventure map.

RE: Deep Sea/Underwater zlevel idea - misto - 12-17-2016

i remember "water" flooding across the station floor at least once. perhaps that effect could be reused here

RE: Deep Sea/Underwater zlevel idea - NateTheSquid - 12-17-2016

(12-17-2016, 07:10 PM)misto Wrote: i remember "water" flooding across the station floor at least once. perhaps that effect could be reused here

occasional floods on a slightly randomised timer or something? knocks you over if you don't get out of the way so you take drowning damage, maybe moves items along with the water?

RE: Deep Sea/Underwater zlevel idea - Mageziya - 12-17-2016

Does this mean I get to sprite corals?

because boy I'd love a dumb reason to sprite corals.

RE: Deep Sea/Underwater zlevel idea - atomic1fire - 12-18-2016

(12-17-2016, 07:10 PM)misto Wrote: i remember "water" flooding across the station floor at least once. perhaps that effect could be reused here

Until someone accidentally screws up and floods oil everywhere, and someone else throws an lighter in it "For science"

RE: Deep Sea/Underwater zlevel idea - Vitatroll - 12-18-2016

It'd be nice. I remember sea-like assets being used a long time ago for admin rounds. It could be anything from the frozen depths of Europa to the missing Atlantis. Doesn't matter to me, I just like the underwater bit. It's novel.

RE: Deep Sea/Underwater zlevel idea - Arborinus - 12-18-2016

I only support this idea as long as it's EXACTLY like this:

RE: Deep Sea/Underwater zlevel idea - Gannets - 12-18-2016

Every time anyone anywhere mentions water in relation to ss13 I'm just going to post "Sompotato has some running water stuff in the code."

Then walk away. I'm helping.

RE: Deep Sea/Underwater zlevel idea - misto - 12-18-2016

the pool flooded one time i think. and the water spread all over the floor. and it made me die when i tried to walk through it

RE: Deep Sea/Underwater zlevel idea - Mageziya - 12-18-2016

I just remembered that this would literally allow for recreations of Sealab 2021.

I'm also surprised that literally no one has mentioned Sealab 2021 yet.

Shame on you all.

hellmoo had a nice mini-dungeon about sealab. you had to find the code by listening to a shell, and use the code to get in, and then find some doohickey and fix a whatsit with it, and then it opened the door to the boss, and there was a speargun

RE: Deep Sea/Underwater zlevel idea - Vitatroll - 12-18-2016

(12-18-2016, 03:46 PM)iMaygaze Wrote: Shame on you all.

I figured it was implied given how SS13 is basically SL2021 in space.

As for potato's thing, I thought it was more about floodfill pathfinding than anything else. Any water-zone would probably just be cosmetic. Though using potato's thing for traps and puzzles would be very neat.

maybe icemoon's glacier is floating on top of liquid and this can be a new layer even deeper below it. the deepest dungeon yet. with scary deep sea fishes making glows in the blackness beyond

RE: Deep Sea/Underwater zlevel idea - aft2001 - 12-19-2016

this isn't subnatautica. This is space. But this is like Subnautica + SS13 goonstation shit and I love it. I don't do telesci at all but this does sound real cool (response to the main post not replies)